HybridZ

1/8 mi drag strip 8.16.13

Wellllll, I got kicked out of my local track for not having a cage... 

Here's a teaser. You can see the second pass (yellow slip) was a pretty good one, should have stayed in it but I had already been warned. Didn't matter, kicked me out anyway! Should have been in the mid to low 6.4x's, and probably around 109 mph. On track for a LOW LOW 10 / high 9 second quarter. 

IMG_20130816_194110_690_zps30fe7b44.jpg

Edited by SUNNY Z

Is there a 1/8-spec for a cage? I'm kind of thinking that I'm only gonna do a 6-pt bar/door bar. I'm only aware of 1/4-mile NHRA rules that break down to 9.99 (six-pt bar) and 8.50 (full cage). Enlighten me, if necessary. This winter's priority over power is being able to race without fear of getting sent home.

Is there a 1/8-spec for a cage? I'm kind of thinking that I'm only gonna do a 6-pt bar/door bar. I'm only aware of 1/4-mile NHRA rules that break down to 9.99 (six-pt bar) and 8.50 (full cage). Enlighten me, if necessary. This winter's priority over power is being able to race without fear of getting sent home.

7.30's and quicker require a roll bar (6 pt)

6.30's and quicker IIRC require a full cage

I hear you there.  I have a local forum 1/4 mile shootout to go to in early october that I REALLY dont want to get booted from. ... I've started pricing cages.  I'll post more when I know more.

I really don't see me doing more than a 150 shot and not even a cam. Keeping the thing alive is really eating up more time than I can really budget. I really want to get involved more at church so I can't let my little idol (the car) get any more out of hand. Do you think that power package is likely to break 6.3 just with technique alone? My first passes with my current setup were in the 8s so technique can make a big difference. Probably not enough to go from 6.6 to 6.3?? Eager to see your times with a good light, clean launch and no speed limits. What gear were you in going thru the traps?

Just got an invitation to dinner with a friend I haven't seen in 22 years. His wife said Saturday?-crap: that's the night that the track with the best traction is open. Looks like I'll be spinning out next week too. See how my priorities have gotten warped?

I have run as fast as 6.17 at 114 1/8th and 9.72 at 138 1/4 and to date they have left me alone with just a 6 point cage and 5 point harness.  The funny thing is they have said I need full suite, gloves and neck restraint but nothing about adding loops to my 6 point.

er

I have run as fast as 6.17 at 114 1/8th and 9.72 at 138 1/4 and to date they have left me alone with just a 6 point cage and 5 point harness.  The funny thing is they have said I need full suite, gloves and neck restraint but nothing about adding loops to my 6 point.

Well "lucky" you.  I don't care that theyre actually enforcing the rules. There is a lot on the table for them if they let me run faster without proper safety equipment, and something happens.

I'm not complaining, its just annoying that I have to find a couple grand to get a cage put in.

Edited by SUNNY Z

I paid a guy at Smiley's 600 bucks to do mine about 6 yrs ago. He did an awsome job and for 200 more would do a 10 point but for a street car with a 10 point is dangerous, one smack of the noggin on a bar with no helmet and your probably a gonner! Def. need some protection though!

Where's the video? Maybe I just can't see it on my phone?

First post.... Might not be mobile

I paid a guy at Smiley's 600 bucks to do mine about 6 yrs ago. He did an awsome job and for 200 more would do a 10 point but for a street car with a 10 point is dangerous, one smack of the noggin on a bar with no helmet and your probably a gonner! Def. need some protection though!

Thats way cheap.

I like that your good news and bad news were one in the same........

Just start rotating tracks,  if it comes down to it.  Go buy some plasti dip in multple colors to get you through the season changing exterior colors from track to track.....

HAH!

You must forget I live in Iowa - there arent very many tracks that close to me. That track is an hour away, I've been warned at the one 2 hours away, and the next closest one is also 2 hours.  Doesn't really make for a fun trip to drive 2 hours each way only to make a couple passes.

^^^  I know a guy who came to a big money grudge race with a 240Z, 421 sbc 104mm single making 1400 plus rwhp, he used exhaust tubing and  an exhaust pipe bender to make a cage just to race, he covered it up with foam so tech wouldn't catch it.