HybridZ

JCI fuel pump

Going to place my JCI order this week so I can start my swap.  Does anyone know what you get with their fuel pump? is it just a pump and fittings to hook into the Datsun lines or does it come with the filter/ regulator also? The descriptions on the website are very vague on what you're actually purchasing. Trying to decide to go with his, or piece everything together from speedway.

Thanks. I was able to talk to him on the phone. Its a pump, bracket and fittings to connect it to fuel line. I will go with the speedway stuff and mount it on a plate to bolt where the Z one does now. I have an LS1 with FI, so I need a higher pressure pump than the Z one. Has anyone made a setup with filters and pump mounted to a removable plate where the existing one went?

The pump will put out a lot more than 50 psi. The regulator will determine the pressure. As long as your pump is good use it and go to autozone and buy a wix fuel filter for a c5 corvette. That will set your pressure at 60 psi which is more than enough for a tuner to tune your car and very close to factory pressure.

The Z fuel pump has a built-in high pressure relief valve which is set at around 55 to 60 psi ( border line for the LS ) . The turbo pump relief valve sets a little higher pressure . If your pump is in good condition , use it . Haven't had any problem with my 78 Z . Turbo ZX is better . Go with Walbro if you want AM pump . My fuel filter mounts at OE location .

post-11413-0-75828400-1376965915_thumb.jpg

Dude,are you using your stock airbox? Hows that working out? Im always worried about getting splashed by an 18 wheeler and the big cone filter in front of the radiator deciding to fill the engine with water. What filter do you run in it?

I have 2 Taurus Fans already, so I'm glad to see that will work out. I'll be pulling the trigger on the champion as soon as JTR refunds me. I like the stock airbox idea. I was wondering if it would flow enough for an LS engine. Glad to see it works. I think Denton is where I picked up my Z from. It was north of Dallas. My friend and I did a 21 hour hellride straight up there and back to get it.

Yeah , I do see a few good deals on Z cars around DFW area . Got mine for $700 with almost rustfree . Came with extra longblock . Got it running and drove for a little over a year before LS conversion . Sold the L6 and trans for $850 plus many leftovers .

There's none to find around these parts, so I had to stretch my search out to all the way up there. I didn't get that good of a deal as you did, but I don't think it was too bad. It had only a few rust spots in the usual places, nothing too bad. I've fixed most of them and am about finished welding on the bad dog rails. Soon as I finish a few more spots I will be ready to start my swap. That and as soon as the brown dressed man that drives the brown truck starts coming to visit.

Know the feeling . During my conversion , at least once a week , either UPS or Fed would stop by with parts . Normally I order my parts on Sunday so I can have them for the following weekend . Took me about 4 weekends to drop the LS out of the Z28 and in the Z , running . Most parts are from local parts stores .

I hope I can get all the little forgot to think of items locally. I hate when a project has tonsit a week waiting on 1 little part to come in the mail. I think I"m doing too much at once... spot welding all the seams, TTT rear suspension setup with Q45 diff, LS swap, probably lizard skin, then figure out rims, tires and flares. I think I will use Vintage Wheel Works 45 wheels in either 16 or 17 inch.

It's better to get the car running as soon as you can . Enjoy it while you're upgrading or working on the other areas . And try not to have too many custom-made or out of town parts . I would say 80% of my parts are from local stores , easier to get replacements .

How did you mount the fan to the radiator? That is a Taurus fan, isn't it?

No . AM fan , Hayden . It fits perfect , with a little mod , and it's lifetime war. at OR . It's a 2 spd. fan also , perfect for LS setup .

That's a Hayden fan inside the OE fan shroud .

Edited by Domzs

Socorob - Since my car was the development mule for the JCI components I obviously have his fuel pump.  It was installed using the stock Z supply and return lines and is located where the original Z fuel pump was located.  I have over 34,000 miles on the set-up now and have not had a single issue.  Running the stock tank also which means the stock fuel level sender and stock gauge in the stock dash.  Kind of like it that way.  My original dash was totally crack free until a couple months ago when a couple hairline dracks showed up.  Oh well, I guess it was bound to happen after 36 years.