HybridZ

bench testing 77' EFI system

I recently converted my 280Z to carbs as I could not get and kind of an injector pulse from the ECU. So what Id like to do is attempt to bench test the entire system. does anyone think this is possible? I could easily spin the distrbuiter with a drill, hook up power and ground to a battery. I basically just want to try and go thru the entire system before putting it back in the car. any help is greatly appreciated! thanks in advance

This is an interresting idea. Not just for the idea of being able to test a single system, but for being able to test entire harnesses.  It poses a lot of electrical challenges though. First off you're going to need a spare harness to hack up for making connections to the existing harnesses/components.  I'd start with a 4x8 sheet of plywood to hang your harness on.  But really Separate  functions  could be simulated with a computer.  For example, if you were to setup the AFM on a stock plug, Then run that into a bank of Analog to digital converters, you could measure each output from the AFM and note whether it's a good AFM or not.   I can really only wee this as being worth it, if you were going to be going through a lot of AFMs, or if you were planning on making a replacement device for an AFM. 

Now there's plenty of other parts we'd need to simulate,  such as the injectors and temp sensors, Not to mention All of the ECU input and outputs.  These are difficult because  though getting the amounts of inputs and outputs is relatively easy, you still have to use transistors and such to provide 12V and operate the grounds as the system would expect.  Not impossible certainly but worth it?  I've definitely got my doubts.   The cost would not be cheap, and likely you'd have to plug in and read in between components such as the ECU and the dropping resistors. The S30 system does a lot by connecting grounds on open circuits. So being able to simulate that for different components would be required.  An example of which is the injectors.   

Now really, What's it worth to recreate a test bed for an S30 Bosch EFI system?  It would be noteworthy and fun to see, but in the end it's much more work than it's worth considering all the other aftermarket and much more modern EFI systems that are available, such as MegaSquirt, AEM, Haltech etc etc etc...

It should be possible, but there are a few odd things that could be a problem.  The tachometer circuit and its resistor seem to affect the ECU on some cars.  There are opinions that it's not true but I've had two cars that won't run if that resistor is out.  Real world results.  So you'll need to study the wiring diagram to make sure that you have all the circuits you need.  I installed a 280Z harness and ECU on to an engine on a stand and made it run right, it's not super-hard, but takes some time to get power to the right places.

You might not even need the distributor and ignition module.  You can make and break the coil circuit by grounding the negative post of the coil yourself.  That's what triggers the ECU to open the injectors through Pin 1.  The source of your original problem.

almost sounds like its not worth the time. I guess it was a good idea to start with, but would take to much to actually start testing. I would like to go mega squirt in the future. but that is in the future and not anytime soon. I appreciate the reply's. thanks!