HybridZ

new to site, with questions

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I,ve been watching this section for sometime now and have decided everyone knows more tahn I do. i have a 78 280Z,FI 5 spd. I don't want to go thru the hassel of turbo etc. BUT, would like to make around 250hp with a real strong mid range. Any help welcome.

Welcome to the group!!

I'm sure there is a good library set here in this section on how others have done what you're looking for. It's not easy to pull that much out of a L28. If you're not the turboing type maybe boring and stroking it up to ~3.1L, and raising the compression a bit with a larger cam, free flowing intake, and exhaust system.

Dropping in a junk yard turbo engine is by far the easiest route to making cheap reliable power (rebuild is a good idea) with the L6 though. Super charging is an option, but not cheap at around $3,000. Machine work, and part for the stroker setup isn't too much cheaper though.

You'd be surprised at what a little bit more horse power would do in your car. Bolting on headers, free flowing exhaust, larger throttle body, fresh air K&N type intake system, a mild cam, and upgraded ignition system would be a large improvement. Then you could do something like install a lightened flywheel, electric fan(s), and possibly a lower gear ratio rear end to make it react quicker off the line.

You could get away with very little mods, and a NOS setup, if you only want to go fast on the bottle.

So many options.

Guest Anonymous

I have a Motorsports catalog to do some ordering thru, are they very good? It seems alot of people here mention them from here. Is there someone else I should check out also?

Guest Anonymous

Check out "Parts and Accessories" in eBay since about everything will show up sooner or later. amd also in parts at Datsun.com. The going rate should be about half or less from the new price but watch out for the shipping. Summitt has great prices and the shipping is usually free.

I order any of my Hot Rod parts from Summit Racing. They can get darn near anything for the Z, just special order. There prices are better than motorsports for lots of that stuff. Tony is right about the turbo motor, but if you want to stay NA,I I'd think about an 80-83 2.8 short block with flat tops and a 72 E88 head and 240 Exhaust manifold, upgrade your throttle body, do a 2 1/2" exhaust with Dynomax muffler and a K&N cone filter in place of the stock air cleaner box. Add an MSD Blaster coil and a set of Taylor Spiro Pro plug wires. Actually, that's where I would start. Then Exhaust, then intake, then throttle body and if you do switch motors, all that stuff switches as well.