HybridZ

Seized or tight timing chain links - noise

NewZed

I've had a persistent ticking noise from my stock L6 that I can't get rid of.  I've found that tweaking the chain guide (with a screwdriver from the top) will affect the noise but won't get rid of it.  It's most noticeable as I idle by parked cars with the window open.  Seems to disappear at higher RPM.

On the Kameari site they mention "heat seizing" chain links.  Has anyone ever seen a seized or balky timing chain link?  Wondering if I have a tight one that is causing the noise, or if my chain guides are just worn out.  The chain itself seems to be within normal stretch range.

http://www.kameariusa.com/L6_TimingChain.php

Could someone who's installed a new timing chain share how tight the chain should be with nothing moving?  I have quite a bit of play in the tight side of the chain if I turn the camshaft forward.  The spring in the tensioner isn't taking up the slack, but I don't know how much slack it should take.  I might just have a worn chain slapping around, even though timing is right.  Thanks for any insights.

Edited by NewZed