HybridZ

hi! new, and have questions about l28 off of 83' ZX

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

hello

i recently aqcuired a very nice 1983 280zx

ive been trying to do as much research on them as i can, as i would like to modify the engine.

i am trying to go for what i guess would be concidered a "mild" build, i dont want to go crazy 3.1l stroker or anything just yet! just something w/a bit more power,... to play around with late at night hehe.

i would really like to try to stay n/a,... and i understand that unless i pour alot of cash, i will not get much results, and i am OK w/that. basically i would like a bit more throttle response, and a little more over all power on the power band.

can i get recommendations for cams(what are somewhat decent for street use, but still make a decent ammount of diffrence), headers, and anything else that would help a 1983 280zx n/a?

thanks in advance!

Depending on your mechanical apititude, there is a lot you can do.

I assume your engine has the P79 head right? There should be a little number at the base of the head around the number 1 and 2 sparkplug. I would start by having the head shaved. You will have to find some cam tower shims to shim up the towers to reduce the slack in the timing chain, although some will say that is not mandatory. I would shave the head in increments of the shims. In other words, if you find 15 thousandths shims, shave the head 75 thousandths, if you find 20 thousandths shims, shave the head 80 thousandths. You will have to adjust the lash pad thickness by the amount you shim the towers up, so if you shim the towers 80 thousandths, you will need a lash pad that is 80 thousandths thicker for each valve.I would stay around 75 to 80 thousandths as far as head shaving is concerned.

I would also get a header, and I like the Motorsports auto 6 into 1. They make them for your car. Add a nice 2.5 inch exchaust system, preferably mandrel bent with a good turbo or straight thru muffler. No flowmasters, they suck.

For a cam, motorsports has serveral grinds, and you don't want to go to wild with a cam since you will likely retain the stock fuel injection. They can set you up with springs and retainers that match their cams too. They have one that is about 278 duration and 480 lift which is nice. I makes very good power and is streetable. Tell them you have shimmed up your cam towers and they will match up the lash pads for you.

Add an open element K&N filter and get some sort of set-up that will allow you to have the k&n in front of the radiator. Motorsports has a kit for that, but I was not really pleased with it when I saw one on a car. I think you could fabricate your own with some 3 inch mandrel bends and some silicon hose. I would also get the larger throttle body, again from Motorsports, or you can hunt for some of the articles on adapting one from a 240SX. That is what I used, and there is a certain year that is easier to use, but I can't remember. You will also have to fab up an aluminum spacer, although you could get a machine shop to do it for you.

Check your thermostat, and change it to a 180 degree model if it is not already one.

You may want to get an adjustable fuel pressure regulator from Jim Wolf Technology so you can raise your fuel pressure a little bit to compensate for all the mods. If you have to raise it more than 3 or 4 psi, you will need to swap out the fuel pump for a stouter one, like a Wlabro or something. There are several places online to order them.

I would also make sure I was running a good set of plugs, and wires. NGK makes some good ones.

I think if you will do all of that, you will be pretty pleased with the performance. OF course, you could swap in a turbo engine, but that is another story.

Good luck.

I'd get a P79 head from a Maxima. Rebuild with port and polish and run the middle Crane cam. Then swap it all in for minimal down time and you don't have to mess with milling the head and running cam tower shims. Run yourself a good 2 1/2" exhaust with a Dynomax muffler, get some Turbo injectors and fiddle with the AFM.