HybridZ

Turbo upgrade info ?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Ok I know it's easier to midify a factory made turbo car witha bigger turbo. That's why I opted for one. Now then I alos know that when upgradeding to an larger turbo, I need to include these key things. Air,fuel,adn how to keep the two relatively cool. Just wanted to make sure I didn't leave out anything. And what turbo's do you guy's suggest I upgrade with ? hail.gif

I upgraded my factory turbo with a hybrid T3/T04B with the Super V compressor wheel. This is what I ended up with anyway, I just bought a turbo "upgrade" from Jim Cook Racing before I knew anything about turbos. For once, I didn't get burned - it is an excellent street turbo. There were some small modifications to the wastegate actuator mounting and J-pipe to make it fit. If you aren't into any mods, some people run a factory turbo with an upgraded GN compressor wheel in the stock housing. This bolts in with no modifications.

You can actually do alot with the factory turbo. The turbine housing is a t3, so you have half of the equation if you wanted to get a hybrid. Bang for the buck, a hybrid is a good way to go, and the Vtrim is a nice wheel for the street, and it can do about 400 crank HP or so with the proper supporting modifications.

I would see about getting a good intercooler to go with a larger turbo, but once you get over about 12 psi, you really need to have larger injectors to add more fuel. Unfortunately this sort of thing is like a disease, and once you experience what kind of power turning up the boost add's, the tendency is to keep turning it up.

You should also upgrade the turbine wheel to a stage II or stage III. I have the stage III and it spools nicely. You could also go with a larger compressor wheel than the V trim. I have the H3 which is the next size up, and it did not work well at all until I got over 12 psi. After that, it moves on.