HybridZ

Full Boost 4200 RPM

Randall

I currently have a T3/T04e 50 trim with the stock T3/turbine section. Would the stock Stage 1 wheel be causing me not to get full boost until 4200 rpm?

I finally took the car out to the Drag Strip last night and made a datalog with megasquirt. Homemade boost controller with a spring loaded ball bearing. 

At 10PSI I ran a 14.7 at 97 MPH.

w/out boost controller (6PSI) I ran 14.8 at 98 MPH.

In first gear I had 6 lbs by 3300 RPM and full 10 lbs by 3800 RPM.

2nd gear started at 6 lbs at 4300 RPM and didn't reach 10 lbs until 5000 rpm.

3rd and 4th resembled 2nd gear with the end of 4th reaching and IAT of 170 degrees.

Im thinking that maybe I need to drill a relief hole in my homemade boost controller or the Stage 1 wheel is causing me problems.

A really tiny hole.

If you don't have one, the wastegate could  hang open if you have no leaks.

Yeah I think its my homemade boost controller getting locked up because for me to run the same MPH on on 6lbs and no controller seems kinda odd.

What type of wastegate do you have??..  Do you have one???..  Is it working correctly??..

It is the stock setup from the T3

Btw just got around to doing a hot lash and compression check and ended up with 155 psi across all 6 cylinders (motor is about 7.5:1)

Edited by Randall

• 5 weeks later...

You said you ran 10psi, if your boost controller was holding the wastegate open you would have trouble making that much, or at least the boost curve would look funky.

I don't think the wheel is choking you yet, I'd look into the tune. With a STOCK turbo, intercooler, MS2, and exhaust I ran 13.4 at 101 at 6psi and 12.6 at 108 with 18psi(falling off to 10psi by redline). 

• 3 weeks later...

You said you ran 10psi, if your boost controller was holding the wastegate open you would have trouble making that much, or at least the boost curve would look funky.

I don't think the wheel is choking you yet, I'd look into the tune. With a STOCK turbo, intercooler, MS2, and exhaust I ran 13.4 at 101 at 6psi and 12.6 at 108 with 18psi(falling off to 10psi by redline).

I just ran a 14.2 @ 101 mph @ 6psi last week. When I said I was running 10psi that's where my wastegate was set and the 10 psi would come in quick in first but not the following gears.

Edited by Randall

I don't know the L28s very well but your timing should keep going after 3000 RPM, all the way up to redline. Now, 39 degrees seems like a lot at 3000 RPM (assuming 100% load, 101 kPa), especially with such high IAT readings. If that's really what the engine likes then there's no much you can do, but on my VG30ET I have 15 degrees at idle and it ramps up to 45 degrees at 6500 RPM. I am around 30 degrees or so at 3000 RPM. This is at 100% load, in boost I do remove timing but the trend remains.

I'd add that intercooler in first, before worrying about boost threshold, that will help alot. I see 16psi at 3000 RPM.