HybridZ

Weber Velocity Stacks Filters or No?

AZGhost623

I run these on my 1200. They just slip on and fit snug around the velocity stacks. You can just pull them off if you want to show of your gleaming trumpets :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-x-RAMAIR-Carb-Sock-Air-Filters-BMW-E30-M20-2-3-2-5-6cyl-Weber-40-DCOE-/390626282189?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5af3240acd

Edited by z-ya

I ran those mesh screens the last weekend at Inde racing 3 days in a row.  Did about half With and half Without.

And on day 3,  I ran 4 cylinders with them and 2 without haha...  Still hoping I might find them in the tranny tunnel or on the headers but they are probably gone.

I couldn't tell any difference.

• 2 weeks later...

I think we lost the point of the OP's question. Here's my answer: it's your car, do whatever you want. If you want justification for running no air filter, just site the fact that most engine fires on engines with side draft cars come from fuel soaked air filter elements (fuel standoff or flooding) ignited by a backfire. In my book, that's reason enough to go without air filters with side draft carbs. Lots of arguments against it, but with the miles you are putting on that car, it will likely rust out or get totalled by a texting teenager before you wear out you engine. Let it rip and have fun! All this talk about restriction is within the context of an engine that likely makes 100-150 rwhp so who cares if it drops to 99-149? But they look good and sound great. All the more with pretty velocity stacks hanging off the side. I vote NO to the air filter.

All this talk about restriction is within the context of an engine that likely makes 100-150 rwhp so who cares i

Wait... what? 

:)

Double that.

I might try the other kind than the screens.  They are all kinda pricey.

Although hopefully this motor will be pulled for refresh soon and so all this abrasives is just like poor mans extrusion honing.

Maybe yours, duragg, but for most L6 guys, who put sidedrafts on a stock motor and don't spin them to 8,000rpm, no.  I would like to get 8 of those screens for my dummy velocity stacks (to literally keep the bugs out-I had a moth in mine the other day), but they are too expensive-those are a major rip-off, price wise!