HybridZ

280z 5.3 Turbo Build

Who is going to be doing the tuning on the car?  Joey @ Excessive Autosports here in Sioux Falls, SD, has a huge amount of experiance tuning E85/E99 LS engines had all my Subaru work done on his AWD dyno. 

This project looks like an extream amount of fun/headaches. Ill be down at KC2K14 hope to see it down there if you make it.

Ryan Mitchell (Maxx mitchell) will be tuning the car. He is a wizard with the Holley setups.

Correct on the headaches. And forget the empty pockets, I had to sell my pants! I'd love to make it to the KC event, but I'm not sure it'll work. I have a ton going on at work that weekend, and will probably have to be there.

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Started dis-assembly on the 5.3 last night. Pretty sure this thing never had an oil change in its 60K mile life!!! Its super oil stained and dirty.

IMG_20140501_223439_389_zpsca2zkeab.jpg

Pulled all the pistons / rods, labeled them, took the rings off, and soaked them in some high power degreaser (seen here to sit overnight).

IMG_20140501_223414_049_zpssfvkdzag.jpg

After about 10 minutes and some very minor scrubbing, it looks like they'll clean up nice.

IMG_20140501_222907_022_zpsikkbjmuw.jpg

Can't forget the shop help! My lil corgi pup, Nia.

IMG_20140501_183604_749_zpsknfxe6rz.jpg

Plan is to ball hone the engine, and install new rings.

To those who have done this before - Should I keep the crank in it, cover it well, and clean thoroughly, 

OR do I pull the crank out, hone, clean, re-assemble?

Are those of you re-using main bolts torquing them to spec (lbft + angle) or just a lbft value?

Thanks!!!

Edited by SUNNY Z

What degreaser are you using? I expected you to run it just as it came out of the yard. Chicken!

Well if it were a JY engine, I would have!!!!

This came from a dealer with a noise. they replaced it for a bad lifter, but not before they disassembled the entire bottom end. Also, its been sitting for a couple years and had accumulated a lot of dust, and unfortunately some rust in the cylinders.

I ended up taking the crank out, and honing the cylinders.  They all cleaned up nicely except the #8, which had a slight amount of surface rust where some moisture had sat next to the piston.

Yes, I labeled everything, and its all laid out nice and neat.  

Here's the pics of the cylinder in question

You can see the spot at the end of my finger, missing the crosshatching...

IMG_20140502_193827_072_zpsrtc1myag.jpg

Again... about halfwa down the cylinder wall .IMG_20140502_193900_492_zps9xm6qcyr.jpg

Now my question is: do I just put the stock rings back in it, opening them up to say .028"?

OR do I spend the time to put the new sealed power rings in, and just hope that the #8 heals itself?

FYI it kinda drags when you run a fingernail over it.

Haaaalp

Great thread. signed up just so I could follow it. There is a 75 280z for sale locally and I also pulled an lm7 and t56 from the yard a few weeks back. Just looking for a project car. These look like they would be perfect. Since I can't afford a 996 porsche, this might have to do.

Also, why not bore and stroke it in addition to the turbo?

Edited by mapleridge

Made a good bit of progress on the engine yesterday.

Cleaning cleaning cleaning

IMG_20140503_130843_431_zpsq80ayf86.jpg

Before prepping the gasket surfaces

IMG_20140503_171315_630_zpseyednpwj.jpg

Washing the ol girl in the driveway!

IMG_229546164766114_zpstshtptji.jpeg

Everything back together, ready for paint

IMG_20140504_161201_192_zpsoxiqyjwn.jpg

Primed and painted......Because Chevys are Orange!!!!!

IMG_20140504_185652_539_zpst77rwycq.jpg

Edited by SUNNY Z

I finished lapping the valves last night, and washed them down to prepare for assembly.

Here they are after installing the new BTR Platinum springs

IMG_20140506_221138_430_zpszqii0hlj.jpg

Excuse the bench, it was getting a bit deep by this point!!!

Also, my 'shaft showed back up from DSS (new yoke and shorter for magnum t56).

IMG_20140506_221512_528_zpsdqjheq06.jpg

I ordered a Trick Flow timing chain dampener. My LS2 chain is a bit sloppy for my liking. This is the kit that allows use on the blocks that arent drilled for a dampener. ... I'll post it up when it comes in.

I was able to get the new timing chain tensioner on, and finish assembly of the engine.

IMG_20140510_194518_801_zpsotcfygcc.jpg

I finished the plumbing on the fuel tank and got the pumps grounded.

IMG_20140510_195623_617_zpsitvzxyzb.jpg

I also had to cut out the floor, and make a new section for seat clearance and weld it in.

IMG_20140511_182611_830_zpssk8hcthp.jpg

I was acually surprised with myself how well it came out lol.

I'm also about 80% done with the sliders for the drivers seat.  I would have finished them, but the gf came outside made me make room in the garage for the cars. .... Something about a "tornado" and "1 inch Hail". 

Are you a welder/fabricator by trade? Cause you do a kick ass job on the fab work.

No sir, I'm just a hobbyist.  I'm a manufacturing engineer by day. Think; more, faster, with less.

I do appreciate the kind words though. I take a large amount of pride in my work.  I would also like to point out to anyone reading this thread that you don't have to be a mechanic or a fabricator to do this stuff.  There is so much information out there that you can access, its unreal.  Thats one of the reasons I try to be thorough with my write-ups. Paying it forward, ya know?

Finished the drivers seat mounts last night. I only have about 5" of movement with the sliders due to some mounting limitations, but it will be plenty to accommodate the different driving I do.

The shoulder bolsters are pretty large on this seat, but I find it very comfortable.  The outer bolster is about 1/2" from the door panel when its shut.

Also, there is a surprising amount of room for door bars, traditional, or a horizontal.

FWIW, I mounted it with 15 Degrees of layback - just where I found it comfortable. 

IMG_20140512_213155_982_zpsbby6yyue.jpg

IMG_20140512_213058_098_zpsyxg0j58w.jpg

Started mounting the passengers seat.  I have the plates welded to the floor with bolt holes, so the outside legs are in position. The inside mounts will be a little more tricky.

IMG_20140513_220310_309_zpshbsdjpvu.jpg

IMG_20140513_220248_587_zpsdg7rwfjf.jpg

This is about where the shoulder bolster will end up. I'd like to have about 1/2" when its final mounted to keep from wearing it out. Don't mind the baller / badass skull lock pulls.

IMG_20140513_220201_552_zpsbqls14n8.jpg

Here are the mounts. I used these brackets from speedway motors ($5 ea), with a reducer nylon bushing from 1/2" to 3/8" which is pretty close to the 8mm bolts.  Also, true to form all the pretty welds will never be seen!

IMG_20140513_220138_293_zpsl3j2hjgp.jpg 

Vice grips are temporary. Disappointing, I know.

I agree. Nice job with the fab work. I appreciate the photos - Helps me with my project and new ideas. I just need to lower my takt time, improve the rolling throughput yield and poka-yoke my project. Might be time for a DAMAIC approach.

Now you're speaking my language! Maybe we can sit down and do some Ishikawa diagrams over a beer!  This might help us drive to root cause, showing the need to 5S, and thus increase our MTBF and decrease our MTTR!

Edited by SUNNY Z