HybridZ

Steering Alignment issue when turning

I just replaced the rack n pinion bushings today.Was told that was the issue with steering issues.

What it does is.... if you take a turn at slow speeds the car will act like it is out of alignment. Car will continue pulling for a period of time If you turn the other way slow speed it will correct. But going straight it will take a while for the steering to re-align.

What have others done?

Well what I think is the top bearings in the body rubber grommets are not working properly. Is you have the car up in the air the suspension travels as it should. No feel of binding and nothing has slop in the suspension. 

So, when you drive the car and turn is when you feel the binding or resistance in the steering that it will not center. Being that is the point the suspension has constant pressure for something that rotates or spins.

I guess I will have to wait for 2 months till I buy my new front coilovers from Technotoy tuning. I will then address this issue. Maybe if I am feeling full of energy I will dive into it one of these weekends

it seems 240z rack are different than 260z. You might have some slack with bushings being too small for your rack. Check it, a visual inspection is possible.

RebekahsZ is bringing a good point. It is also easy to adjust rack play as long as your have the tool to unscrew it (I use a pipewrench to do so). However loose rack should also rattle, you would complain also about noise over bumps.

Edited by Lazeum

I removed the old bushings yesterday. They were in real good shape. Of course the ones that I got new from zcar store did not look like the ones I took off. So since they are in real good shape I put them back on. The car only has 80000 miles on it.  The new ones both looked the same. Where as the ones on the car that I took off where 2 different sizes. One side has a larger hole different thickness.

Today I did loosen the adjustment on the rack. I did tighten first to see how tight. Per the FSM it says snug and then back off 20-25 degrees. Mine was maybe 10 degrees to snug. So backed off to what I think is 25 degrees. Went for a drive about 20 miles and 45 minutes in traffic. Seems a little better. 

So i it is too loose it will clunk. Wander if I can back off another 5-10 degrees?

Edited by tooquick260