HybridZ

Front wheel drive motor in a rear wheel drive?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I was trying to figure out what motor to put in my "71"z. One of the motors I'm interested in is the Ford SVT 2.5 HO DOHC V-6. It comes in the Countor SVT. It puts out around 200 hp stock and is only 2.5 liters and all aluminum. The only thing is it, and its variants, only come in front wheel drive cars. Question, can a front wheel drive engine be dropped into a rear wheel drive car. What would the problems be?

Guest Anonymous

I have not had the opportunity to drive a car with the V6 in it. I initially was interested in this motor because it seems like it would be much lighter than most v6's, they are widely used and there are some aftermarket parts available, such as , chips, etc. for it. I don't know the dimensions yet but my guess is that it's fairly compact. I want to put a modern engine in my car and have good power without having to make any internal modifications. If the swap is even duable I'll go test drive a Countor SVT and see what I think. Thanks for the response.

[This message has been edited by toddekindred (edited September 24, 2000).]

Guest Anonymous

You may be right about the lack of power, but there were a couple of other engines from front wheel drive cars that I may be interested in. Do you know if it's physically possible to put a front wheel drive engine in a rear wheel drive car or anyone who has done this?

Guest Anonymous

I checked out transmission adapters, this may work. But thinking about what you said about power in the earlier post, a VQ30DE sounds much better. I originally purchased a VG30DE to put in my car but I talked to some folks in California who told me if it isn't the Twin Turbo motor it's not worth the trouble. I flew out there to look at some of these installations and it looked way too cramped in the engine compartment. I wanted the VQ30DE to begin with because its lighter and is a 60 deg. configuration (so maybe narrower) but since it only came in front wheel drive cars I gave up on the idea. Now I may pursue this avenue again with the knowledge that there may be transmission adapters that can fabricated for this.

Todd, have you considered a Grand National swap? It's been done, and kicks butt. High tech is nice, but a GN packs alot of punch for the weight/money.

An LS1 V8 from a Camaro is also high tech to some. Push rods aren't that bad of a low tech thing considering the power density of this setup. The flat torque of that motor is pretty phenomonal. The heads are the benchmark of pushrod engines, according to many.

Guest Anonymous

Of the Ford motors, how about a SHO motor from the older Taurus? Has anyone thought about using one of those? As I recall the Yamaha designed motor was pretty muscle bound. Not sure on Transmission adapters, depends on what goes behind it, if its a automatic, its really just a matter of a piece of aluminum (or steel) billet that bolts to both sides (of the block and trans) with spacers from a redrilled flyplate to the torque converter (alignment is obviously critical so the homemade adapter would have to be flycut parallel to keep from wearing the front pump, or clutch in a manual).

Manual transmissions obviously gets much stickier. Of course the other issues would apply: How the pan fits the z frame, exhausts would need to be custom, and any number of other items for what might be called a 'exotic' engine swap.

Just another idea,

Lone

If anyone is interested I have a 4.3 carbed V6 that would save some weight. A set of vortec heads and you are set. Light and decent power.

------------------

The only stupid question is one you wanted to ask but never did!!!

Drewz

• 1 year later...
Guest Zpeed

you can make a FWD engine RWD engine, but you need to find a RWD gearbox that mounts up to it,

also gotta make the water pipes go the right way, and also make sure all the stuff goes forward instead of backwards

this is the usual swap in a toyota sprinter, putting a 4agze fWD engine into the RWD sprinter