HybridZ

Ran off the road. Any advice for my next step?

alexx933

For control arms, I might be talking to Jon about his rusty ones as a temporary. Until I have the monies to do an overhaul on the suspension. I'd love to go to Japan!! Too bad s30's in Japan would be hard to find for sale. Shipping would only cost a grand or two tops! I might have to settle for an rx7 or something if a Z couldn't be found!

So nobody mentioned anything about the sway bar. In post 10, I have pictures of both links for the bar. Are those supposed to be straight? The passenger side end link is the one with the scraped control arm and the super bent looking link. Tow truck driver dragged my car along the curb about 20 feet before he stopped which is why that side is so badly scraped.

Use Google images and type in "280Z sway bar end links" or cut and paste from here.

A bent sway bar could probably affect rear wheel alignment also.  And don't forget to check your brake lines.  They could have snagged something or been stretched.  The wheel lugs too, even though they didn't break, could be stretched or damaged.  If the front end went over the curb, parts up there need a good look.  The TC rods can bend or get a crack started that will fail later.  Even if you get a new shell, these parts need a good inspection if you're going to re-use some.

Edited by NewZed

• 3 weeks later...

I had intended to have it towed from my uncles to my mechanic/mentor's house to look over everything with his eyes as well. However, before trying, I ran it down the road just to do a small check. The Z started and stopped without any major issues so I decided to drive it the 10ish miles to my destination. Sure enough no major issues. The steering was slightly tweaked enough that the car veered to the right but not very hard. If i wasn't paying attention for 80-100 yards, I'd be in the ditch. 

I put the car on stands and took my time looking everything over. None of the suspension pieces were bent, cracked, kinked or otherwise visibly damaged. The pickup points also seemed to not have moved at all either (looking from both underneath and in the cabin). My steering rack boots were torn and my bushings seemed to have been original. Aside from that and the frame damage, we found no mechanical damage. 

So even though I'm greatly upset at myself for my accident, I'm glad to say I can continue to keep it on the road a bit longer until I find another shell! You can be rest assured that my reckless days in this car are done. 

As another side note, I booked a(n) (ch)Air Force job leaving in March! I got into the administrative aptitude area. Meaning I will become a desk jockey but the specific job is unknown at the moment. This all means I will try to find a shell down in Texas as opposed to Washington for obvious reasons or just wait until I arrive at my first duty station assuming it's not overseas.

Enjoy your 8-4:30 PM M-F, lunch break, pt time,weekends off, holidays off, base down days off.

I'm very much looking forward to finally being active after over a year waiting! And those will be some nice perks, but I'm pretty sure that I will try to retrain into a different field after my first contract. I like working too much to sit at a desk for the entirety of my service!