HybridZ

Oil Pressure Q

yo2001

I've been concerned about my oil pressure lately because it's doing a weird thing. When I'm cruising, the pressure is usually fine, may be little low for a high volume/pressure oil pump. the oil pressure read little pass the center at 3000rpm. However, when I'm really on the gas at 6500rpm, the pressure doesn't seem to rise much more then where it was during cruising. (little bit pass the center)As soon as I get out of the gas to go back to cruising speed the pressure jumps up to 3/4 way. That's wierd to me. May be I'm drying the sump during WOT high rpm driving. (not good) Or my sender is about to go. I want your opinion. Thanks.

Guest Anonymous

Check for oil leakage around and from the sending unit. The oil pumps seem to never go bad but the oil pressure sending units usually do not live long and can leak oil from the sending unit itself.. I have found that a lot of the oil pressure gauges read all over the gauge face according to various driving conditions. If you are continously going 60 mph and the needle is fluctuating/something is wrong.

Guest zphreek

the datsun oil pressure gauges are misleading, since they usually stay about in the same place. i installed a autometer gauge and sender and my oil pressure varies between 13psi-80psi. it is kinda scary when you get the motor nice and warm and let it idle and the pressure drops down to about 13 psi eek2.gif but apparently its ok for that to happen.