HybridZ

L28 turbo.....gradually...

drunkenmaster

Hi guys,

I recently sold my 260z which was gonna cost a heap to restore in order to buy one i found pre restored with a L28ET.

However insurance companies were laughing at me before they hung up as I am 22 and apparently uninsurable with a car like that so i have decided a new attack plan.

I want to buy another 260z in reasonable shape and restore the body and fit an injected L28. In three years time (when im 25 and insurance gives me a break) i will upgrade the L28 to an "L28ET" (or equivalent using L28ET parts etc).

My question is in the meantime when im running the NA injected L28, what combination of head, pistons etc should i build the motor with for maximum performance but allow the easiest upgrade to L28ET status later on. I would have liked to use the P90 head as plenty of good things are said about them, but would compression would be on the low side for NA?

I will be using fully programmable engine management so that is not an issue.

Sorry if this is either basic or impossible, im still pretty new to the L6 game.

Thanks

I would think if the insurance company is going to give you grief, it's because the 260Z is a "sports car", not because you put a turbocharged engine in it. Personally, I never told my old insurance company (they never asked...) So you may get the high rates regardless of the engine, just TURBO it!

haha....no, recently with the flood of cheap turbo "grey" imports in Australia, if your car description contains the words "import" or "turbo" and your under 25 its a no no.

I insured the last zed no problems, its the turbo that does it.

As for not telling them, a friend of mine recently rear ended someone in his nissan s15 and insurance wasnt going to couhg up coz he hadnt declared aftermarket pedals!! I think if i dont tell them about a turbo I might as well save the fee's and go uninsured because either way they wont pay out.

After doing some more reading the N47 head with flat top pistons looks good for NA but the P90 with dished pistons for turbo, possibly flat top pistons but perhaps 8.8:1 might be a bit high.

Anyone from Australia have an indictation on pricing on L6 heads and pistons?

Guest Anonymous

Sounds like the politicians are being heavily subsidized and benefitted by the insurance lobby. We have about the same trade agreements here to keep thr profits from being wasted on any damages.

Manufacturer imported cars by nissan etc are fine, its just the private imports that are the insurance problem.

Basicly its because you can buy a private import car like 1991 s13 silvia 2.0 turbo for $AUD10k or ~$US5k so every 18 year old wants one and can afford one but doesnt have the skill to drive one.

Turbos became a bigger problem when the manufaturer imported subaru WRX became so popular as it could outrun police cars. Drag racing, Police pursuit and store ram raiding became popular and again, insurance on turbo cars went up.

Anyways, back on track. Perhaps it is easiest to forget the above "gradual" plan and build a tough purpose built NA L28 and then swap the head and pistons for turbo when i come to that stage?

What is considered a good NA L28 hardware combo?

Lot of good info here: http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/2824/heads.html

Is this setup agreed? i am a bit concerned about the complexities of "the modification" he talks about.

Also are CV sharft required/a good idea?

What is meant by L28 long motor as opposed to short ( i have seen these terms floating around various places)?

Also is the 260z really that much of a better performance platform than the 240z? i few 240's are popping up for sale, but the 260 has a stiffer chassis right?