HybridZ

2mm headgasket and timing

Guest mck2

I blew out the stock gasket when I went to 10psi on regular gas. I have installed a fuel pres gauge and 2mm HKS metal gasket. Supposedly 0.8mm thicker. I wedged the chain and marked the chain and sproket. With chain back on, the cam sprocket was 1/8" or 3mm lower than the cam shaft. While I was struggling with this, a gremlin pulled the tensioner out of place. While I was struggling with the tensioner, a gremlin pulled the chain and it slipped on the crank sprocket but the cam and crank have not changed position, TDC#1. After hearing what is involved, I dread removing the front cover. Any hints on getting the tensioner back in with Fcover on??? Can I get the chain and timing right with Fcover on???

You have to pull off the front cover, there is no other option.

I hope I'm not out of line here in recommending an intercooler with your boost level - if you blew a stock head gasket with 10 psi non-intercooled, and replace it with a metal gasket, your pistons may be the next weakest link.

I guess when the book says to wedge the wood block in there tightly aren't kidding. I've made the same mistake before and I'm sure that many of us here on the board have had this happen to us at one point in time. It really only has to happen once 'cause after that you'll never let it happen again. The job of pulling the timing cover is really not hard just time consuming.

The wedge seemed tight but I removed it thinking it would help me get the sprocket on, then I lowered it perhaps 1/8" and boink!

Never again: I will put a pin in the tensioner! The job of pulling the timing cover: remove fan, lossen oil pan, remove oil pump and distrib, remove harmonic pulley, remove cover. Stand up straight and go to chiropractor. Not hard at all!

Well, I guess it's been longer than I thought since I've had to do it. Your right it does suck! You might think labout replacing the timing chain etc.. while your in there. The cost of the parts is really not that much and you'll be sure that your timing is 100% dead on while your increasing your boost.