HybridZ

RB parts on L28?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Just wondering has anyone tried putting the RB heads on the L-series engines yet? And if it can't be done why not? Or what about the RB ECU on the L-series engines?(which would include the fmad.gif injectors and such) fmad.gif

I talked to a guy 4 years ago who was working on putting a RB head on his L6. It involved welding up some of the coolant and oil holes, drilling some others, and custom adapting a setup to drive the camshafts,(DOHC vice SOHC). It was serious custom work. Don't know how he fared. The only interesting note I think I remember was that the actual bore spacing was the same and the head bolt holes were pretty close or in the same spot.

But this is all hearsay because I can't find my old e-mails,(we talked back and forth for a while), and it is all memory I am going from.

You might be able to bolt it on, but be prepared to do massive custom work to ensure it all works correctly. And I haven't even talked about porting, custom exhaust manifold, etc.. Might as well spend $1500-2k on a well built L6 head from Sunbelt or similar.

I don't think you can put adapt the ECU, or rather I don't think it would be worth it. Just my few cents.

-Bob

Originally posted by Bob H:

I talked to a guy 4 years ago who was working on putting a RB head on his L6. It involved welding up some of the coolant and oil holes, drilling some others, and custom adapting a setup to drive the camshafts,(DOHC vice SOHC). It was serious custom work. Don't know how he fared. The only interesting note I think I remember was that the actual bore spacing was the same and the head bolt holes were pretty close or in the same spot.

But this is all hearsay because I can't find my old e-mails,(we talked back and forth for a while), and it is all memory I am going from.

You might be able to bolt it on, but be prepared to do massive custom work to ensure it all works correctly. And I haven't even talked about porting, custom exhaust manifold, etc.. Might as well spend $1500-2k on a well built L6 head from Sunbelt or similar.

I don't think you can put adapt the ECU, or rather I don't think it would be worth it. Just my few cents.

-Bob

:eek::eek:hail.gif

I don't think I have a ball to weld and drill a RB head to fit it on to L6. I would just use the whole motor instead.

yo2001, that doesn't work out. L28 crank uses 130.4mm rods and 38.1mm pin ht pistons. A 140mm rod would required a pin ht of 28.5mm. Possible, but that's mighty low, even for a forged piston, and it leaves hardly any room for piston rings (maybe it was an L24 crank?). I'm interested because I have some Nissan 140mm rods, but they have 23.5mm pins, and I'm always searching for pistons with a low pin ht in a useable bore size.

Does anyone have the specs for pin ht on the RB series pistons? DAW

Originally posted by DAW:

yo2001, that doesn't work out. L28 crank uses 130.4mm rods and 38.1mm pin ht pistons. A 140mm rod would required a pin ht of 28.5mm. Possible, but that's mighty low, even for a forged piston, and it leaves hardly any room for piston rings (maybe it was an L24 crank?). I'm interested because I have some Nissan 140mm rods, but they have 23.5mm pins, and I'm always searching for pistons with a low pin ht in a useable bore size.

BTW, spec is 30mm pin height, 86mm bore, 22mm wrist pin, with same ring land as SR20DET.

Does anyone have the specs for pin ht on the RB series pistons? DAW

You would have to offset drill the small end of FJ rod 2mm (got to do that anyway since FJ rod has 21mm wrist pin) to fit the 22mm wrist pin of RB piston. I got a pic at home, I'll send it to you if you want me to.

Guest Anonymous

I kinda see the point of the dohc but the Ecu? Why would it not be worth it? Quick question BOB (try not to kill me for this one) When sunbelt gets done with the l28 engine do they put more modern systems in it? (ecu,air flow senors and such)