HybridZ

SMOG??????????????????????????

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

OK THERE IS TALK ABOUT SMOG REGS OR WHATEVER ABOUT OUR Z'S. NOW I HAVE A 72 WITH L28 AND WEBERS. HEADERS SO ON. NOW THERE IS NO SMOG STUFF ON HERE.AND MY QUESTION IS, IS THIS ILLEGAL IN CALIFORNIA. WHEN I REGISTERED THERE WERE NO QUESTIONS ASKED ON SMOG. IT BEING A 72. CAN SOMEONE KINDLY INFORM ME ON WHAT THE REAL THING IS YES ITS OK OR NO IF I GET STOPPED I AM SCREWED.

THANKS

ZACH

no smog parts on 72 cars right now but you never know.the real drag was when my 77 came up for renewal.it has a 81 zxt engine.had to put cat on,egr solonoids,evap cannister.but now i got a neato sticker in my door frame.the test only thing sucks-that is why i had to certify the swap.

• 1 year later...

I'm almost positive its illegal to tamper with or remove any factory installed smog devices on any street vehicles in California. Getting stopped and inspected is highly unlikely though, the local police or CHP don't have the resources to play smog control officer and have you ever waited in line at your local DMV...they difinitely don't have the resources. Unless you're running open pipes or have a monster blower poppin out ya hood I think you'll be okay 2thumbs.gif .

Oh by the way what's your name and address again?

Thanks,

John P. Tool

Director of Special Investigations

DMV CA

hehehe

Tom is correct. Pre-1974 vehicles are exempt from smog testing NOT exempt from smog equipment. It is illegal to tamper with, disable or remove any equipment on the engine which effects emissions. I believe that it is a Federal offense, not just a State one.

Tim

on a 73 or older vehicle you can what ever you want. there is no smog on it. you can put anything on the car that is street legal (i.e. no nitro-methane and drag slicks) on a 74 or newer it has to have all of the smog equipment for that vehicle unless the engine is swapped in which case the motor has to be the same year as the car or newer and you must have all of the equipment for that motor.

Guest Anonymous
on a 73 or older vehicle you can what ever you want. there is no smog on it.
This is NOT correct. The only cars completely exempt from smog regulation in CA are those built before smog regulations were put into effect. In years that equals all pre 1965 vehicles.

Pre '74 vehicles are exempt from annual smog INSPECTIONS, but not smog REGULATIONS. I know there is a lot of misconeption out there about the law, largely due to the fact that many pre '74 car owners have removed their smog equipment since they are no longer subject to inspections. However, this does not mean the State of CA feels the same way. They still expect you to have all of your original smog equipment installed and working, regardless of whether or not they subject you to an annual inspection.

The real question is, what does it mean to you? Not much unless you get caught. Whether or not you get caught largely depends upon the attitude of the officer pulling you over. If they ask to look under your hood, and if they feel you are in violation, they can send you to a smog referee for an inspection. This can add up to mucho $$$ in fines. I don't know all the particulars, but let's just say I it wouldn't be fun or cheap. What are the odds of getting caught? Not much, if you drive normally and keep your car in good tune.