HybridZ

Porting

Nismo280zEd

Unfortunatly i have an N47 head which has the steel exhaust tubes in it.. i read on a article on here about porting out the bowls on the exhaust would help it.... ok i took out the valves today and the damn steel tubes go all the way to the seat... so how am i supposed to port steel tubes? right now i'm grinding down the casting on the intakes.. then sanding smooth.. any other ideas to squeeze some flow outta her?

ED

porting exhaust ports doesn't help you enough flow for a street/weekend car to even bother. I've also told not to smooth out the intake too much because you need some texture to break up the fuel. Work on unshrouding the valves, and just smooth out the transition b/t runners and the seats ;)

Originally posted by Nismo280zEd:

Too late for the too smooth part :rolleyes: thanx for the tip thought... i'm not too woried seeing as i just wanna get better mileage intead of HP... tired of breakn' things racing

I don't know how much the polish intake runner is going to hurt you on the gas mileage. It'll give you poor mixture, specially with carbs, which can cause bad gas mileage. :(

OK... well the plan was to get a P-90A head.. the one w/ the hydraulic lifters 2thumbs.gif but time and money are issues... right now i just wanna get it running.. then install my coilovers and rims.. and redo my interior. Later i plan to get a turbo head such as i mentioned.. but i already have a performance cam, and already had the valves... so until i rebuild w/ some flat tops.. this will do just fine. (the runners are evil) thanx for the tips though...

Ed

aight.. just thought i'd let you guys in on what i've done. :D I used a die grinder w/ some grinding stones initially.. works ok.. but the dremel w/ the grinding stone package.. that little tool saved me hours of filling. I'm completly done w/ porting. Now i'm polishing.. i'm not worried about this mixture philosophy.. i'm not gonna be able to get things as smooth as glass and if i could.. there is still a valve guide smack in the way of the air flow.. so i'm not worried.. plush there is enough casting in the manifold to stire the air up.