HybridZ

Door bars that miss the window crank and door handle

RebekahsZ

Sunny Z. I have tons of pics of cages and roll bars that I can send to you. But this is the only discussion I have seen that addresses pre-thinking the conflicts. And only pics available that are taken with the doors closed (or even installed)! Not much out there for knee bars or cross bars either. Have you thought thru placement of a chute for your car? I wonder if your tow bar receiver will work, or if it is too far above your CG?

• 2 weeks later...

Sunny Z. I have tons of pics of cages and roll bars that I can send to you. But this is the only discussion I have seen that addresses pre-thinking the conflicts. And only pics available that are taken with the doors closed (or even installed)! Not much out there for knee bars or cross bars either. Have you thought thru placement of a chute for your car? I wonder if your tow bar receiver will work, or if it is too far above your CG?

Good question.  

I would almost say yes.

FYI, cars with a factory firewall don't need a knee bar to be legal. However, It might keep that pretty little V8 from kissing our knees @100MPH.... Food for thought.

Good question.  

I would almost say yes.

FYI, cars with a factory firewall don't need a knee bar to be legal. However, It might keep that pretty little V8 from kissing our knees @100MPH.... Food for thought.

I thought the main purpose of the knee/dash bar was to brace the front of the door hoops/a pillar bar for side impacts. The AE86 that we drafted into competition after blowing up our Evo had no dash bar, single door bars, and carbon fiber and fiberglass doors. It made me a bit nervous, especially as we were careening sideways into a semi trailer, avoiding it by an arm's length or 2. 

Edited by m1ghtymaxXx

Yes, mightyMax, you are correct. My roll bar builder said he would not build a full cage without a knee bar. But, as Sunny stated correctly, NHRA doesn't require them up to 8.50. I really do think NHRA makes some safety concessions in order to keep the sport accessible to as many folks as possible. I think no knee bar is a concession.

I think we can jam a knee bar between the stereo and the heater controls (just above the trans tunnel), but my controls aren't installed yet, so I don't know for sure.  I have seen a few ITS cars with the knee bar located there.  May depend on how deep your stereo is.  Another option is across in front of the gauges, and a third is just above the dash board, but I've never removed my dash-does it have to come up and out, or do you pull it straight forward and out?