HybridZ

Hei 4 pin module can't get spark

kaito

I just wired up my vr distributor via this diagram http://zhome.com/ZCMnL/tech/gmhei.html but for some reason it's not working. I used the paste and have it mounted in the fender against bare clean metal. I got the hei chip from autozone. Is there a way to test this? I don't want to remove the dizzy for fear of messing up timing. Any feedback would be appreciated.

I've never seen that mod before, seems like a lot of work when you can just bolt on a $50 280zx distributor and achieve the same result. But anyway, the HEI4 modules are very finicky when it comes to the ground. Don't rely on just the base to ground the ignitor. Usually one of the bolt holes has a metal contact on it, run wire from that to the engine block to get a nice solid ground.

Other than that, the HEI modules are pretty simple. You connect the coil to one side and your distributor to the other. I don't think you can screw up the VR output wiring either, it should work in either direction.

You can test the HEI module and coil fairly easily. With everything powered on, tap 12v to the G spade and it should create a nice fat spark when you remove it.

Did the distributor work before (see the FSM for setting gap and testing the pickup coil, if not)?  How do you know the HEI module isn't working (check for spark)?  Have you tested the coil + and - terminals for voltage with the key at On and Start? Have you confirmed ground from the mounting grommets on the module?

Get a meter and do the basic tests.

Thanks for the help everyone. I checked the hei module by giving the G spade 12v as Metro suggested and got a nice fat spark so I did as NewZed suggested and checked the pick up coil. It was dead. Got a new one installed and everything works great. Thanks again Hybrid Z for being the reliable valuable wealth of information that you always are!!!