HybridZ

BCCD replacement or rebuild in quest for emissions passing

capertrail

I have a 1981 280ZX (build date 2/81) with 5 speed manual.  Today when searching for another problem I noticed this noise like a deathrattle/pebble in a can/hissing vacuum leak/farting through a harmonica coming from this strange device on the intake manifold.  This was at operating temperature at idle (750+- 50).  Turns out that is the B.C.C.D. Another forum indicated that this forum might have a whole thread on BCCD "refresh".  I can't find it.

Does anyone know of such a thread they can point me to?

Does anyone know of a good place to get a rebuild kit, or rebuilt BCCD?

Does anyone know of a true replacement for it?  I read of some people removing them but there doesn't seem to be a lot of thought going into that plan....  If there is some thought I'd love to hear it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.  If anyone is interested I will also post in either projects or emissions about my other questions, but that is a long story with a laundry list of repairs.

Thanks

You have an 81, so I'm assuming that the bccd for you is under the manifold and not part of the throttle body. 

I would much rather replace the unit, instead of trying to take it apart. I'd hit up local junkyards or post a for sale add. In fact, Borini is local to you and can more than likely loan you one to see if it really is your problem.

DO NOT delete this item. It will only make it run like more crap. 

You have an 81, so I'm assuming that the bccd for you is under the manifold and not part of the throttle body. 

I would much rather replace the unit, instead of trying to take it apart. I'd hit up local junkyards or post a for sale add. In fact, Borini is local to you and can more than likely loan you one to see if it really is your problem.

DO NOT delete this item. It will only make it run like more crap. 

You are correct, it is under the manifold.  I'll look at junk yards and see if I can get in touch with Borini.  I need some Z contacts around here, so that you much!