HybridZ

Racers, which battery shutoff switch in cockpit?

RebekahsZ

After the rollbar is done, the next step is to do the electrical safety stuff.  I have seen several different kinds of cockpit mounted electrical shutoff switches.  For NHRA spec I am required to have a cutoff switch mounted on the back of the car that has a permanent (non-removeable) cutoff handle.  I have that done.  NHRA does not require a cockpit mounted electrical cutoff switch, but several of you have advised me to install one anyway, so I am going to.  But which style switch do you recommend?  See photos and give recommendations. 

Thanks.

post-5903-0-00634400-1390101807_thumb.jpg

post-5903-0-30901100-1390101819_thumb.jpg

In Europe, the only type allowed to run FIA legal events is a 6 poles cuttoff switch that would cut power from battery but also from alternator & ignition.

You've got the main handle inside the cockpit and one handle outside the car in case of external support required.

COUPE-CIRCUIT-6-POLES-PROMO.jpg

Edited by Lazeum

Beerman-that would be the one on the left.  That is my plan, and I already have one purchased.   I have been kind of thinking that it would be safer to use a switch that has a handle that is retained by a screw, as opposed to one that just has a little keyway holding the handle in.  Is it perhaps for theft prevention that I see so many of the type on the left in pictures of race cars?  Perhaps the owners of those cars turn off the power and take the little red key-handle with them??

In Europe, the only type allowed to run FIA legal events is a 6 poles cuttoff switch that would cut power from battery but also from alternator & ignition.

You've got the main handle inside the cockpit and one handle outside the car in case of external support required.

COUPE-CIRCUIT-6-POLES-PROMO.jpg

That's the set up I'm going to be using, only with a longacre style switch, not the removable red key type.

I've got a red key style one, but that will be used to facilitate easy disconnection of the battery during services, and a small measure of theft prevention...