HybridZ

Where to get a RPM signal

Spike243

Hi, I recently installed an Eboost Street and was wondering if there was anywhere I could tap in to obtain a square wave RPM signal? I tried using the negative side of the coil and that produces a very erratic signal, possible due to low voltage? (<3.5V) 

I read on another site that older cars do not produce a useable square wave signal so I may need a converter. I just wanted to double check here first to make sure. Thanks

The ignition system is completely stock. It sounds like I would need some kind of Module to get the proper signal?

Stock what?  You're in the L6 forum and haven't even ID'ed your car.

If it's a 280ZX turbo system your tach might already be using a square wave.  Maybe you can tap in to that line.  Your ignitor uses a square wave also, I believe.

The optical distributor outputs a square wave signal to the ecu, you could try tapping into that. I grabbed this from the Megasquirt guide:

Dizzy side ------------ Harness Side
Red (12v) B/W
White (MS trigger) G/B
Green (not used) G/Y
Black (gnd) Black

Try teeing into the G/B wire and see if that will work for whatever you're using.