HybridZ

Parts car question

skerry

Mods, please feel free to move this if there is a better place.

I have a 72 that I bought to restore but its become a parts car. I haven't stolen a bunch from it, console, switches, armrest, etc. The car runs great, has the original 2.4 and a 5 speed. Clutch is a little iffy. Biggest problem is paperwork as its bonded Mississippi title is not transferable to Louisiana. I may be able to work it around that with some time and money though. Rest of the car is decent. Rust under the seats, lower passenger door and hatch deck in the back but not cancer by any stretch. Paint job is horrendous and it needs a brake booster. Besides that its drivable.

What I'm trying to decide is if I should start parting it out. I have a v8 conversion so I can't use a lot of this car beyond what I've taken. Other option is to slowly start doing an original restoration but I don't think I have the budget for that.

Obviously, this is my decision to make but I'd love to hear what you guys would do with a car like this. Picture below for reference. Oh and I bought this for $800.

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd70/pocket3s/20131124_113119_resized.jpg

Well it's a 72' So there's not so many of them as there are 75-78's, but still a few around.  Certainly you should be able to get your $ out of it, but it'd be unfortunate to see a good car scrapped. It's your car though, Do what you will with it.  Though if you would throw $20 bucks to this site, you could part it out on here in the "For Sale/Wanted" and I know I'd buy some specific parts.   Title issues are always a pain. Did you ask Louisiana DMV what they need to make the title work? A lot of time it's just more paperwork and maybe another fee if your Bonded Title is legal.  Here in NM you'd have to get VIN inspection and such, but it's not so big a deal. Might as well ask the DMV if there's anything you can do.   They may want more paperwork from Mississippi, which the DMV there hopefully could mail you.

Phar

There would be a work around if there was no title but because the car was registered in Mississippi just 2 years ago it creates an issue. The "work around" in our backward state is to find a tow yard that will get you an abandoned title on the vehicle. Basically, you park your car at that lot for x number of days at which point they apply for a title based on the car being abandoned. Most places do it but the DMV really frowns on it. Cost about $300 but there is some risk. Other option is of course to sell the car to someone in Mississippi but the other side of this is that it's probably worth more as a parts car. I talked to my dad last night and he's interested in making it either a drag or road course car which might be the best of both worlds. We could part out a good bit and keep what we need.

If anybody is interested in schooling me, which parts are most sought after? How should I determine pricing? Ebay seems way overpriced. I try to research on this and similar sites but at some point somebody decided that everyone should replace their prices with the word 'sold' so I have no idea what things should cost.

Edited by skerry

There are also some grey area title places in 2 or 3 states that have no titles or didn't use titles before a certain year. The closest state to us that works that was Alabama. It's been a few years so I don't know if those places still exist or not. I know it worked for cars with no titles, but not sure how it works with bonding. Basically you sell them the car (paperwork only) and they just need a bill of sale or something along those lines, then they sell it back to you for what you sold it to them for plus their fee. Then you can register it here since that state didn't require a title. I think Maine was another state that worked like that. I seen it on some British car forums. People would find old MGs or whatever in barns, etc., and no one cared about those cars back in the day so the titles were long gone. They would use those sort of places to get the car titled quickly. Some states didn't have titles before certain years so the car would have to be made before that year to be able for it to work.

http://www.broadwaytitle.com/

Edited by socorob

We actually have a law here in Louisiana now that will allow you to register a car with no title as long as it's 25 years or older and there is no record of ownership. It's a bit of a hassle since it's only been around for about 6 months and nobody at the DMV knows about it. The problem with this one is that it has a title lol  

Socorob, do we have any worthwhile car clubs around? I've seen the Gulf Coast Z car club and I don't want to offend anybody but the whole website is 350z and 370z's. I know you're a bit further south than me but I'm hoping that you have some insight.

Thanks

Stephen

Have you consulted with a notary who knows their stuff?

The reason I ask is that I have a friend who is a notary (not an expert on automobile titles etc however). He said that the bonded title is not a title per say, but a document that allows you to do some things that require proof of ownership such as buy insurance etc...  I would not take the word of a DMV employee on exactly what can and cannot be done.

BTW, I used to see your car parked downtown Baton Rouge. Was that you or the PO?

Sam

I've talked to a couple notaries and they seem to be more firm on it than the DMV. Lol. I also have a cousin in the DMV who has talked to everyone and the bonded title is an instant closed door. I'm waiting on some paperwork from Mississippi as I have one more shot. The person that was driving the car was likely the dealer that had it before the guy I bought it from. He took the car as a trade in and drove it around for a while from what I understand.

All I've seen was the gulf coast club and it looks like mainly newer Zs but I see 3 S30s driving around town every now and then, 1 has been parked in front of a mechanics shop for a few years now and the guy won't talk to anyone about selling it, and I know of 2 more people building them up right now. I can never flag down anyone to talk to them though. My friend has one and there is a guy with a street legal drag one. So that's almost 10 just in my general vicinity on the northshore.