HybridZ

noise from the rear...

Guest BadKarmaCreepin

Guest BadKarmaCreepin

ok, so when i turn the key in the ignition to the notch before i start it, you know, when the electricty is running, this low, faint, humming noise starts from the rear of the car. i'm imagining it's the fuel pump...i can't think of anything else that's electrical that would be running. what do you guys think?

btw: didn't know where else to put this...

Guest Anonymous

Fuel pump or........................................... the enoculator inecolater fibulator (joy stick) that some one tossed in the back. Do you know the history of the previous owners and what this car was used for.

Guest Anonymous

Faint humming noise huh? Hmmm, maybe its the radio and it don't know the words... :rolleyes: sorry... Sounds like a fuel pump hum to me, what year is your Z and does it have a electric fuel pump?

Regards,

Lone

Guest BadKarmaCreepin

the car is a '72, but everything on it is newer. the guy said the fuel pump is putting out 4-6 psi, so i'm guessing it's not the stock one.

Stick you head under there and look while it is making the noise and see. Believe it or not, but the early Z's had the wiring in place to run and electric pump. You just had to peel back some tape by the tank, and then add some plug or something under the dash to complete the circuit.

At least mine did, and so did my buddies.

Guest BadKarmaCreepin

so if it IS the fuel pump humming, does it mean anything bad, or is it just loud? should you be able to hear the pump? i plan on getting a bigger one anyway when the turbo motor goes in.

oh yeah, this guy wired a switch in the ashtray underneath the silver rack where you're supposed to rest a cigarette to cut off the fuel pump so no one can drive away in the car. i've booby-trapped myself so many times not remembering that i flipped the switch...

When I went and looked at the car the guy indicated it had an electric fuel pump so that is what you are hearing. You could verify this easily by turning on the ignition and the see if the noise quits when you flip the switch under the ashtray lid to the off position.

Guest Anonymous

I agree, when I hear my Carter pump back there humming at least I know I have fuel, same deal when I cut the electric fan on, I'm like really happy then, and well when the starter turns over like its supposed to, man all is right with the world at that point. :D:D:D

Regards,

Lone

Guest BadKarmaCreepin

ok, to go along with this, when i shut the car off after driving, it tries to keep running and sounds REALLY horrible, like it's sucking the last bit of slurpy out of the big gulp cup. any remedies out there?

Guest Anonymous

Bad Karma ..LOL you are more fidgety than a bride groom with a new wife with that new car of yours.If you shove it all the way to the floor and she aint starving for more fuel...then you simply have a loud fuel pump or one that is not properly rubber isolated. My old Silver Z gets to humming and begging for attention every once in awhile. Didn't you drive the car across country without problem?