HybridZ

Found some interesting ideas from a GTR

There's a lot of topics here about bumpsteer and I came across this on Google Images http://www.importtuner.com/features/impp_1101_nissan_bnr34_skyline_gtr_vspec_ii_n1/photo_03.html

I really like the idea, especially for radically lowered S30s with relocated mounting points for better roll center. Not to mention you could design it for quicker ratios, more ackerman, or even just lowering the steering rack to mount an engine lower in the chassis. I should have the tire I'm planning on running delivered Monday so after I get it mounted I'm going to mock it up and see how much the geometry changes at the height I want and try to do something along this line. I have the springs removed from the struts so I can move the suspension through cycles.

I also like the blade style adjustable sway bar, I would like to do something like that except not cable operated from the cockpit but just done under the car like a tie rod. Trying to keep the interior as close to stock as possible.

All you need to adjust roll center in the front is a slotted crossmember. I slotted mine to adjust bumpsteer, but you can adjust bumpsteer at the tie rod and then use the slot for more RC adjustment if wanted. The real question is where do you put the RC. The best answer for our suspension seems to be at ground level or just above.

Keith, are you jacking up the front end to adjust the camber plates? I did that for a while and then later found that it is a lot easier to move them smoothly with the weight of the car on them. 

I'm not saying that these are things we all need to do to our cars. I just spend my free time looking for ideas and it's rare that I find something unique and different. I failed to come up with a way to make the steering set-up from the GTR practical on a S30 but I do like the idea of using what that Porsche did because what I'm paranoid about with a slotted crossmember is the hardware wanting to work itself out of position and that would help that issue. I think it would be a good idea to use the same idea for an adjustable TC rod too to experiment with anti-dive angles. I was already planning on being able to adjust bumpsteer at spindle so it's independent from the RC.

I like the way you think. I've got the TC's slotted too... 

I haven't driven with the TC's slotted yet, but I put quite a few miles on the car with the front crossmember slotted and had no issues. I just torqued the bolt to 80 ft/lbs and checked it every now and then, but it never budged.

post-553-0-11625000-1394392478_thumb.jpg

I haven't got lucky enough to mess with my suspension yet. I recently bought one wheel that I was thinking of running and my 245/50/16 tire should be coming in tomorrow. I'll get it mounted and start mocking things up. Not so much for the suspension's sake though, mainly to see where I need to place the 8.8 CV diff and start building the back part of my frame work. I'll be taking measurements though and start coming up with drawings from them later. Not to mention I don't know how long it will be until I have the money to get the AZC coil-overs, brakes, and front control arms. I want to get the car on a rotisserie too.