HybridZ

R200 & Traction control

thezguy

The number of teeth doesn't really matter for traction control, does it?  It's the rate of change in rotational speed that the unit monitors.  As long as the unit gets a good signal from the sensor teeth it should do what it's designed to do.

Actually it just monitors how fast things change.  Dramatic changes in the slope of the speed-time curve, within one turn of the shaft (per the ad copy).  It's tunable too, so in the long run, tooth number won't matter if you're in the ball-park.  Just saying, it's not critical to know the number of teeth.  On the other hand, more teeth might give higher resolution to the processor, and signal quality from the sensor would be important.  Same as crank triggered ignition, probably more so.  

"The TMS-Drag-Sportsman is our entry level Traction Control system.  This Non Self-Learning system monitors the drive shaft speed and reacts to any sudden increase in that speed.  The user can adjust the threshold of over acceleration that will cause a correction (AFR)."

Pretty cool technology.  Here's more on the "How Does It Work" page - http://www.moretraction.com/howdoesitwork_drag.htm

On the other hand, if it has a speedometer function included, then you might need the numbers.  Unless that's tunable also.

I'm done.  Just wanted to make that point...

I know little about it, However I am not disputing what it measures rather how it actually measurers driveshaft speed. If there is no magnetic strips or teeth to "count" how would it know how fast the DS was spinning? there has to be a unit of measure. Shannon specifically asked me to get the teeth count on anything I would be using to measure the speed. Given there was teeth to count.

Edited by thezguy