HybridZ

Leaking oil pressure sender

I have had a very slow leak on the oil pressure sender down at the oil pan. I used the JCI location and used a 1/8" brass FIP fitting to get clearance from the header. So, the Datsun sender is screwed into the 1/8" FIP fitting. I dunno if the Japanese pipe thread is FIP, but it fits pretty good, but leaks a little, no matter how tight I make it. So I'm trying to decide whether to put a little 2-part epoxy in between the FIP and the sender before I screw them together. OR should I try to put them together and try to sweat a little solder into the joint with a butane torch? Looking for suggestions. I really don't want to relocate to the top of the intake yet, but I know that is an option if I can't make this work. I don't want to drop oil on the track this summer. Plus this is the only messy place on the entire car.

He has a GM engine with a Nissan sender, opposite to the usual problem.  So, the Nissan sender is BSPT, and the block is NPT.  Seems like some thread sealant would do the job.  Loctite makes some.  http://www.henkelna.com/adhesives/thread-sealant-thread-sealing-loctite-anaerobics-14405.htm

I'd use PTFE tape myself, but that makes many nervous who might lose track of the little thready tape pieces when they take things apart.

Great info guys. I'm not in a big hurry-it's been seeping for a year, so perhaps I can do this once and be fine with it with a little more investigation.... Anybody heard of a BSPT-to-NPT adapter? I will start searching for that, but I am not familiar with the British spec-is it 1/8" also? I thought WE rebuilt Japan after the war-why the heck did they use a British spec??!

Thank you. I just screen shot that for future reference. The fitting that SunnyZ sent is a female-male adapter. I'm having trouble finding a female-female adapter which is what would be perfect. Once I get axle finished I will get on this and figure out which way to go. It is pretty tight down where this thing is located, crowded between the header and the motor mount. But I guess I'd rather have a leak down there than up high. Will post final solution. Thanks for more tips.

I don't think thats what he's after - not sure.

Keith, the easiest route would be to cut off the stock dummy oil pressure sender, and drill / tap it for your needs. I did this for 1/8" NPT for my Holley sender, and its where I had my Autometer as well.