HybridZ

Need pointers for removing Z31 4-bolt axles

RebekahsZ

I will soon be heading to the local Nissan salvage horde to gather up as many axles as I can get. There were as many as 6 candidate cars. I will be working in mud on my back with spiders and chiggers and mosquitos and thorns and snakes. Do any of you have any special instructions to help make removing these axles more expedient? Please let me know if I go straight to the 4 bolts at the outer CV with a crows foot wrench and a breaker bar or if there are any other assemblies that I will have to remove first. I am a S30 gyy and have never bern underneath a Z31. Any tip is welcome.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Job is finished.

1. Jack up and support car.

2. 13/16" deep socket and 2" extension on 1/2" ratchet to remove wheel

3. 14mm box end wrench to remove brake calipers if rusted to rotors.

4. Steel bar and 3# sledge to hammer caliper off rusty rotor

5. Big sheet of cardboard and mosquito spray

6. 17mm socket on 1/2" drive ratchet to remove front bolt on shock bracket that also serves as a guide for parking brake cable.

7. Pry bar to pry that bracket down an inch or more to expose outer companion flange axle nuts and bolts.

8. (2) 14mm sockets on long handled 3/8" drive ratchets or breaker bars to remove (4) nuts and bolts that secure outer CV to companion flange, rotate rotor to access nuts and bolts 1-by-1, at the 6-o'clock location. Inner socket needs a 2" extension.

9. Wrestle outer CV away from companion flange and shock bracket, let axle hange down from diff.

10. 3# sledge to dangling axle to "snap" it out of diff.

11. Repeat on other side.

12. Save nuts and bolts in zip-lock bag.

13. Pay the man, take some Ibuprofen.