HybridZ

Griffin Rad. w/ L6

jaime240z

I'm having problems (again) with the MSA 4-row radiator in my Z. I am thinking about just buying (or making) a bracket to use the griffin aluminum radiator. I plan on going with v8 conversion soon, so I would buy the radiator eventually.

I am just wondering if anyone has done this? What would need to be done as far as hoses.

BTW: electric fan is installed so the stock fan would not be present.

Thanks

Jaime

If you want to go with the Griffen then you'll need the one that has Chevy style in and out fittings. I believe the size is 24 or 26 x 19 You'll just have to measure across your current radiator to find the exact mearurement. I actually bought one once but, never installed it because I would have had to have some work done on it to make it fit with my intercooler pies. I eventually sold it but, it would have been sweet. I found the best deal at the time from Summit. There are some better units out there for not much more money so you might do some shopping and reading on the internet before you make your purchase.

Guest Anonymous

I have the 24x19 Griffin GRI 1-25202-X out of Summit..For the V8 SBC.. a 1973 Chev Monte Carlo SBC upper water hose can be trimmed to fit. A Napa # 8948 trimmed to fit as a lower radiator hose.. I bought a section of 1 inch rubber that I cut into two strips to fit in the bottom and top channels of the Griffin radiator I made a lower and and upper frame out of 1/8 x 3/4 angle iron to fit over the rubber spacers in the channels of the radiator. The metal frames do not touch the aluminum radiator and all is cushioned by the rubber. The top metal frame has a bar strap that is secured by one metal bolt attached to the radiator support by the application of a welded in "t" nut to the radiator support. The bottom frame is attached by a single bolt to each side of the frame rails. I saw in a recent article of Chevy High Performance where they welded aluminum brackets directly to the side tanks.(Ouch) This may work but I feel the vibration should be spread out to the channels on top and bottom of the radiator and cushioned by rubber. Take one bolt out to remove the radiator with my method. Also the metal frames were made for a pressure fit to the rubber strips. I also formed a stainless steel cover to hide the top metal frame. Actually the metal frame painted in cast aluminum looks better. You should be forewarned that the Griffin has no drain plug to release coolant or tank provisions for auto tranny cooling

Guest Anonymous

Lone reported satifaction with a Howe radoator and was not enthused with a "Be Cool" Ford application of his brothers. It appears the "Be Cool" label has gained the name recogntion with status conscious consumers irregardless of durability or quality due to modern advertising hyperbole. (IF you wanna be cool go with the cool mentality)BTW Griffin Radiators is based and originated in Las Vegas,Nevada... where it gets real hot. Also there is a Griffin thread for an L 6 application where the owner had extreme difficulties cooling a L 6 with a Griffin,