HybridZ

question about a engine setup.

Guest ON3GO

That is a beautiful article.

You have no idea how often I have to explain why they really can't get "400hp" or why they really don't want that kind power even if they had the money........(of course still wanting it to be "streetable" and their daily driver...)

-Bob

yes i have owned a low 13sec car and im sure it could have been a 12sec with some tuning... AWD talon baby. it ran bad, but had the parts for mid to low 12's.. miss the launches... :(

and i dont think that the AEM will be the **** so thats why i want it, i want it because from what i read about it and heard about, plus what it can do is pretty badass.

also like i said when i 1st came here, im open to ideas on engines and etc. i just want more then a mid 12sec car. I dont want to build something thats common around my area.

now if the L28ET cant do it for the money i can spend that what can? i know SR20DET's can, so would that be a better choice? im sure i cant afford a RB swap or a 2JZ swap.

any ideas would be great.

mike

Hrm, it sounds like even the RB needs rodspistons much over 450HP - bummer. That motor sounds like a great way to make big power though with the right mods. As light as the Z is you won't need 500WHP to fly. Mine, with just 300 at the wheels flies. If I can get EFI on it or get around to putting a smaller carb on it it would make even more power. As it stands now I've already beaten one bike that messed with me :D

A 2JZ would be an excellent choice. JDM 2JZs can be had for reasonable prices and single turbo systems for those motors are falling like a rock lately - figures I already bought mine :( I wonder about the width of the motor though, I'll measure mine when the T-78 is installed and post back about it. 550RWHP on pump is my target and I know of several who have reached it in Supras. Slap a N/A 5speed on it for cheap and use an AEM to tune it. Bob FWIW I don't know anything about PerfectPower but Link, from the research I've done, cannot touch the AEM. There are Link users switching to the AEM smile.gif I've got articles on my WEB site detailing how to put a 1JZ into a 240Z, a 2JZ should be little different IMO.

Another option is to put in a mild SBC. Not fast enough? Spray it! Breakage of things like half shafts and whatnot will be an issue no matter what. The R230 is a great idea but it's NOT a bolt-in and so far no one has a "kit" to install it. ZXT CVs might handle things fine, they might not too depending upon how hard you push it.

Personally, I like the JZ option best. I've got a SBC in mine but I desire forced induction and the 2JZ is WAAY smooth. Had I only known...

Well my info on Link is somewhat minimal, and I just threw it in there to add another unit. The PRS-8 is very capable, esp. considering the price. (that is the perfect power one).

I looked very heavily into the AEM and PRS-8 as well as the Link, downloading software for all three, talking to users, playing with the programs, etc... I didn't play with the Link as much though and found few who could give me feedback on the fully custom system.

And I think the stock pistons/rods on the RB are good up through about 600 hp, most certainly not 450. If I remember correctly, I see stock blocks going up to about mid 500's at the wheels. Where you can get a stock 2jz block higher than that,(and they only cost $1900 when they break!). Of course it all comes down to engine management to properly manage that power w/o breaking stuff.

Mike, the SR20 might be cheaper to get the hp from, but you need to factor in the cost of the SR motor, which is about 2-3k depending on which one you start with.

For the "different" factor, the SR-20 or a RB in the Z certainly fit that.

My guess on a budget for a SR-20 in the Z would be as follows:

-aluminum radiator: $2-300

-custom intercooler $5-900

-SR motor $2-3000(for one in good shape with tranny)

-Fuel system upgrade -$500(fuel pump, filters, lines, possibly new tank).

-Engine management,(AEM as you asked for) -$2k with harness

-Custom downpipe and exhaust $500

-Intake pipe work, misc. for engine related, fabrication for mounts/engine and tranny: $1k(this is from experience)

-Upgraded turbo: $800(this can vary)

-Upgraded injectors: $2-500

-Custom turbo header: $800-1000+

-Custom driveshaft: $250 minimum

And I am sure there are a few things I am missing but you get the idea, close to 10k.

If you start with the L6, and go full forged internals, balanced, etc.. You can likely complete the short block for $2k,(might as well go stroker) plus about $1500 for good head work from someone like Sunbelt with a cam. The header is about $800-1000, the turbo is about $1000 for the power you want, intercooler the same, T5 tranny if you don't already have it, $~3-400, radiator, piping, engine management, tuning, etc... So you might come in cheaper, but it will be harder to get the big numbers power wise. So cheaper, but harder...

-Bob

well if a SR20DET would work then thats good, because i know alot about that motor, and i can get a great shape S13 red top for about $1700 with tranny and all..

but know what injectors to get? you said frm 2-500.. so any ideas? i dont think i could find injectors to add up to even 500 for all 4.

also any ideas with a Intercooler?

and i would have no idea as for a shop that can help me out with engine mounts and etc... no idea.

thanks

mike

ok did some looken around on the net and saw this.

500+hp in a SR20DET.

555cc Nismo Injectors (sidefeed system).

255Lph+ Walbro Fuel Pump.

FMIC.

Full exhaust.

Inatke.

Larger Turbo, nothing bigger then a T66 unless you want to use nitrous to spool it.

Mainfold.

wastegate.

Metal HeadGasket.

Strong pistons and rods.

Larger MAS or MAP Sensor (via Standalone).

Standalone Management or ECU Re-Map

oil cooler wouldnt be a bad idea.

Sleeving the Block for 400rwhp or more.

Port, Polish, Extrude Honed Intake Aftermarket Manifold.

Port, Polish Head.

Camshafts.

Sleeving the Block and Closing the Deck (If the SR has an open deck design).

Lightwieght Flywheel.

and nitrous.

what you guys say about that?

mike

Ok this is gonna happen!! got my student loans today that i can use. YES!.

found these parts.

Brand new Spearco Intercooler with end tanks, size of core is 20in by 9in by 1.6in. and its 300 bucks shipped.. Yes or No?

Tomei Cams 250 intake/ 250 exhaust degree with 10 duration drop in no hassle cams, only 500 bucks shipped.

Greddy 88 mm x 1.2mm metal headgasket, Greddy Stiffier racing valve spring, and Tomei Rocker arm stopper all for $480 shipped.

HKS SPFDD inake for 90 bucks shipped.

also found a few more things like BOV, intake manifold, and etc for good prices but im looken for the links now.

If you think these are good prices please let me know because ill start ordering right away.

mike

i did have a question about the cage and brakes.

I dont want to spend the money on the 5lug swap, because the rims i want dont come in that 5 pattern and it will save me money. so what brakes would fit on this car? i heard the Toyota 4runner brakes work. is that true? and i have a pair of 240sx rear disk brakes.. will that work?

i can always get new rotors and all.

Also with the cage, should I get 6-point? i heard they stiffen the car up alot but would it be something that would be unwanted in a street car that you drive everyday?

and yes i will build up power bit by bit, so im taken your advise.

im trying to see if this one shop can get me a RB26DETT if all works out ill put it in and leave it stock with just a few bolt ons.

mike