HybridZ

Dual 7.25 clutch install issues

Installing an ACE dual 7.25" clutch. First problem I had with it was that the back of the button flywheel didn't fit inside the dish in the stock flexplate. Called ACE, they said get a Quicktime flex plate. Did that, then realized QM had sold me the wrong HRB. Got the Tri-Lite, and took measurements to get the correct bearing. Got the bearing, now I'm going to bolt it all together, and I have another problem. The button flywheel is loose on the studs. I put the 7/16" dowel in to try to center things up, the flywheel still has .013" movement on the studs. Not sure what to do next.

I think my options are to try to center it and then torque the FW bolts down, have the ACE flywheel machined to fit inside the stock much thinner flex plate (which will mean that my measurements are wrong again and I'll need another bearing from QM), or ??? 

Here is a video I made of the problem. What would you do?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAhhHiROFO0&feature=youtu.be

Edited by JMortensen

If the button flywheel bolts are already torqued down, MAYBE those are the wrong diameter shank bolts for the button flywheel.  The bolts must have a step down shank dimensions for mounting both the flexplate and the Button Flywheel.  Best to get QuarterMaster on the phone and ask about the 13 thousands play and if you have the proper bolts for the button flywheel.  Just some suggestions.  Best of luck to you.

I don't have any experience with the ACE, but in general it seems there should be something to register and center the flywheel, like a hub or lip.  I don't think the bolts alone should do that unless there's a special shouldered bolt.  I would talk to ace some more, I bet you end up with some problems as is.

I don't have any experience with the ACE, but in general it seems there should be something to register and center the flywheel, like a hub or lip.  I don't think the bolts alone should do that unless there's a special shouldered bolt.  I would talk to ace some more, I bet you end up with some problems as is.

The flywheel does fit the pilot on the crank, but it didn't fit in the dish of the stock flexplate, so they told me to get the Quicktime plate. It has a thick spacer on it that is as deep as the pilot on the crank, leaving the ACE flywheel loose and unregistered. I like the shouldered bolt option, but I think I'd have to open up the bolt holes to do it because there isn't enough room around the bolts for anything but a super thin shim, and there's the risk that the holes wouldn't get opened up on center. I think right now the safe option is to either replace the flywheel with something that fits the stock flexplate and reorder the bearing again (which I would like to avoid) or to do a couple more shear pins with everything mounted on a fake crank pilot.

My standard-style flywheel didnt gave that slop around the bolts-the tolerance was very tight. I wonder if you could just have another set of holes machined to your flywheel bolts by your local machine shop? So many guys seem to have trouble with the assembly of these multi-plate set ups. I'd hate for you to get it all bolted together, then have to tear it down later. Thanks for the well-done video.

Yeah, that's not a bad idea at all. Thanks Keith. I think I'll take it in and say "What would you do? Add shear pins, or drill new holes?" I do think adding shear pins has less likelihood of getting them wrong, because presumably everything would be centered perfectly on the pilot.

• Like 1

I don't know why I can't remember for sure (PTSD from those weeks of clutch combat a few years ago-a hard won victory)! But, if I recall accurately, the standard flywheel fit over the end of the crank as almost a zero-tolerance fit. When I didn't get the bolt holes indexed properly, I couldn't rotate the plate on the crank, but had to pull it straight off and try again. I'm kind of surprised that the alignment of the flywheel to the crank is so bolt-dependent. I know you have thought thru this (and have lots more experience than I), but why exactly do you need a dual disc clutch? Sexy, but seems like just extra parts to break. If you were to back up and look at a single clutch system, do you think the supplier would give you your money back (before) you re-drill? You could always just TELL your friends that you have a dual disc clutch and I would back you up.

I wanted to lose the weight and get faster shifting. A similar setup with no holes in the flexplate weighed in at 13 lbs. For a street car it's not the best, but mine is going to be a trailer queen race car, so there are no downsides to it.

FWIW, I talked to ACE today, sending the button back along with the stock flexplate and the aftermarket one. Sounds like they're going to redesign the part. They did say that the bolt holes are the wrong size but that I was the first customer to actually complain about it. I asked that they change the design so that the button fits with the stock flexplate.

• Like 1

FWIW, I talked to ACE today, sending the button back along with the stock flexplate and the aftermarket one. Sounds like they're going to redesign the part. They did say that the bolt holes are the wrong size but that I was the first customer to actually complain about it. I asked that they change the design so that the button fits with the stock flexplate.

That speaks VOLUMES about the quality of the supplier.  Fit checks should be done in the prototype stage of development.