HybridZ

Scary and mysterious diff bolt

PLATA

I put a little dab of wax (called torque seal) on the head of my troublesome bolts in order to see if they have loosened. I had a gland but that was bad to loosen, and I could visually inspect the wax mark, and if the wax line from the bolt head to the component was broken, I knew torque had been lost. It was good peace of mind. Tighten it up and mark it, maybe? If it is something that needs tightening once a month, I'd take that approach. I tried drilling a grade 8 bolt for a safety wire. Went through a box of bits, even using a drilling fixture. Never got the hole all the way thru and gave up. It's hard to drill those tiny holes on good hardware.

https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=A0LEVxRHmdZTUjsA8MdXNyoA?p=stage+8+header+locking+bolts&fr=moz35&fr2=piv-web

I wonder if you can find header locking bolts properly sized and strong. Then you could just weld a bead or 2 near the bolt for the lock to stop against. Or ones with a long enough locking tab to hit against the other bolt.

Lots of options. My long nose R200 doesn't have a front mount. It is bolted to the tails haft of the T56 through a pair of channel iron that act in a manner similar to the torque tube the Corvette uses. I'm not familiar with the front mount characteristics of the short nose R200 but that may be another option as far as a mount goes. In the meantime I'd just go back in with new hardware and torque to spec.

I checked all four bolts this afternoon , all seem OK,  marked them in order to monitor any movement .I'll keep an eye on it and do a new hardware at a later date.  :icon1: 

Edited by PLATA