HybridZ

F54 with N42/N47 pinging problems?

Z_Dust

I always thougt it was OK until I read this. Check this out and read the portion that talks about pinging and the N47.

The following quote was "taken" from this site:

www.geocities.com/zgarage2001/head.html

I won't pretend to know everything about those heads, but I posed that question to the Z Doc who I trust. He said those 2 heads are widely used, but can ping easily

on flattop motors as their low quench chambers are designed for dished pistons. This shape lets the flame kernel spread away from the spark plug and ignite.

For a good budget racer, probably not a bad idea, just be ready to use some octane booster

BTW, the Doc races an E31 with larger 280 valves on a flattop motor and says it runs "right on the edge of pinging.

I am considering increasing compression ratio by installing a N47 head to my F54 block. I hear that using a F54 block with the flat pistons mated to a N42/N47 head can most certainly cause pinging problems.

Anybody out there with this setup that can give his/her opinion/experience

Well Pete, Basically from what I have read the easiest way to improve CR is to use the N47/N42 with the F54 block.

Some of the guys here say that you can get as good or better performance off of a modified P79. To do this you need a good shop to do all the work and relatively deep pockets. There are postings about this topic for days.

If you are like me, (champagne taste, beer pockets) then forget about the P79 and work with the N42 or N47. Its quick, it's easy and for the money, you cant beat it.

I just got laid-off from work. That really puts a cramp on the spending.

Let me know how yours turns out. I'll let you know about mine as soon as I get it done.