HybridZ

Stock cams, any differences?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have a quetion regarding stock cams. Are there any differences between them for say a 280 vs a 240? I ask because I'm doing a mix and match engine with varying parts from different L6's and figure if there's any of the stock cams that might make a bit more power than another one I'd just as soon go that route. I'm using a Maxima N-47 so I need to swap the one in there out. I have the cam from my existing E-88 L24 that I can put in. I'm planning on putting it on a flat top F54 bottom end I may be just buying that as a long block since it will be about the same price as a short block anyway and I want to swap the bigger valves into the n-47.

Any insight would be appreciated.

The big difference is between oiling-method for the lobes/rockers. Early heads (through 1976) had spraybar oiling setups and solid (undrilled) camshafts. Post-'76 heads oiled the cam lobes internally via a rifle-drilled camshaft and drilled lobes. You can't use the undrilled E88 cam with the N47 unless you were to swap on some cam towers and swaybar from an early head.

I think the stock 280Z(X) cams are the same in profile/specs but I am not certain of this. DAW

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the reply DAW, you are the answer man when it comes to the N47's. I was actually planning to use the spraybar/towers with the e88 cam, but I was wondering if there's any differences in lift and duration between say an L28 and a 240's L24 cam. If there is I realize it's probably not much but hey it's worth a shot. I don't recall any mention of the specs in the FSM for the 240, but maybe the 280 FSMs are more informative but it's just nothing that's really pertinent to the FSM type tasks. I'll check the Honsowetz book tomorrow when I get home too, I don't think it mentions the info but I could be wrong.

I've kinda laid out the plans to you before of doing the 240 crank/rods with the flattop L28 pistons in an F54 with the N47 Max but just figured I'd remind you since it's been a couple months. I'm not opposed to an aftermarket cam by any means, but I know that the 400 or so it'd cost with the rocker arms is going to make it a much longer project and more importantly it will invoke the ire of the wife ;)

L24 E31/E88 248/248 -109 LSA

L26 E88 256/256 -109

L28/L28e 248/248 -109 (N42/N47/P79)

L28e (P79) 240/248 -109

L28et (P90) 240/248 -109

L28et (P90) 240/240 -110

L28et (P90a) 240/240 -109

L24e (N47) 240/240 -106

I have a TXT document (can't attach here :( ) that shows the cam marks, and lift numbers etc also for the above stuff, I think lift numbers are in mm.