HybridZ

P90A or N42

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

The reason i ask is becuase i have both. I know this can get quite lenghty in replies. I am wanting to know first are all P90A hydraulic ? if so then you just answered my question. If not is it cheaper to rebuild/mod N42 ? thanx !

Guest 240hybrid

Ive been told some P90A heads are solid and some hydro. best way is to look to find out. Im no expert, but I would side with the N42 heads. Reason being that with a HYDROLIC P90A head the valves have been known to float at high RPM.

Guest empracing

my p90a has the left hand type lifter and ate my n42 heads for brekfast and thats a fact so for a direct comparison theres your answer just watch that comp ratio

what application do you want?

NA the N42 head will net you a higher CR which equals to more power

if you want turbo P90 will give you a good C/R...you cant just ask for the best and expect us to know what you want to do w.o telling us...

E88 head w. N42 valves milled to 40cc combustion chamber would be nice for N/A too =)

Guest empracing

na or turbo the 90a will still flow better and sqwish better too. change the cr with pistons not chambers .run the god dam 90 .

p.s i really wish i had the time to get these bloody things flow tested to end this silly debate.

Guest 240hybrid

The only thing Im gonna say is if their hydrolics and your running them at high revs, there is a chance that one of your valves will float...not a good thing.

Originally posted by empracing:

na or turbo the 90a will still flow better and sqwish better too. change the cr with pistons not chambers .run the god dam 90 .

p.s i really wish i had the time to get these bloody things flow tested to end this silly debate.

Flow testing can show basic steady-state flow characteristics, which can be an indication of performance potential. Results are certainly not definitive, though, just a part of the picture.

Just curious, what's your quickest/fastest NA ET with the P90 vs. N42? Dyno comparisons? The benchmarks I know of for N42-headed cars are 12.88 @ 104 (correct me if I'm wrong, Norm) in a 2.9 liter ~11:1 CR motor, 235 rwhp in my 3.1 liter 10.8:1 CR motor, and 315 flywheel hp (correct me if I'm wrong, John) in a 3.0 liter 13.5:1 race motor.

I'd agree that the debate is somewhat silly, because from what I've seen/read/heard there's not enough between the two heads to inspire impassioned debate. If I were building a new all-out motor and I had either head (P90 non-hydraulic or N42) lying around, I'd probably just use it.

> 315 flywheel hp (correct me if I'm wrong, John)

> in a 3.0 liter 13.5:1 race motor.

305 @ 6,600 rpm.

And again, the only valid comparison between the P90, P90A, and N42 is with stock, unmodified heads. Once someone starts cutting metal, the power producing abilities of the head has more to do with the skill of the cutter then the head itself. Also, flow bench numbers are meaningless without information about compression ratio and cam profile.

• 2 weeks later...

*sigh*

neverending battle

p90 is a good head dont get me wrong - i just dont like it due to valve float issues

im a n42 man its good for turbo and NA how many other nissan heads can you say that about?

Guest empracing

Dan Baldwin ok dont get me wrong the n42 can go not denying i really belive the 90 has a better design in the chamber and the raised runners are going to be better all over.they really got it right in the later heads and i have solids in it so im not worryed hehehe just my $20.02 and if i ever sort out this crappy dizzy im going to get that et for you maybe if i get ritch il build 2 to compare

Guest norm[T12SDSUD]
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Just curious' date=' what's your quickest/fastest NA ET with the P90 vs. N42? Dyno comparisons? The benchmarks I know of for N42-headed cars are 12.88 @ 104 (correct me if I'm wrong, Norm) in a 2.9 liter ~11:1 CR motor, 235 rwhp in my 3.1 liter 10.8:1 CR motor, and 315 flywheel hp (correct me if I'm wrong, John) in a 3.0 liter 13.5:1 race motor.

I'd agree that the debate is somewhat silly, because from what I've seen/read/heard there's not enough between the two heads to inspire impassioned debate. If I were building a new all-out motor and I had either head (P90 non-hydraulic or N42) lying around, I'd probably just use it.[/quote']

Hey Dan,that would be 12.88 @ 105.8 mph on slicks with a 10.6:1 CR motor. On street tires the best mph so far has been a 106.6 mph.

later

I'd agree that the debate is somewhat silly, because from what I've seen/read/heard there's not enough between the two heads to inspire impassioned debate. If I were building a new all-out motor and I had either head (P90 non-hydraulic or N42) lying around, I'd probably just use it.

Couldn't have said that better.

Just to jump-start the dead horse :roll: , what was this about raised runners in the P90 helping the flow? As far as I can tell, only the end at the valve was raised. The port comes out of the head in the same place as on the N42 (i.e., the port has to make a sharper turn - no way around that). How exactly is that going to help the port to flow?

I'd agree that the debate is somewhat silly' date=' because from what I've seen/read/heard there's not enough between the two heads to inspire impassioned debate. If I were building a new all-out motor and I had either head (P90 non-hydraulic or N42) lying around, I'd probably just use it.[/quote']

Couldn't have said that better.

Just to jump-start the dead horse :roll: , what was this about raised runners in the P90 helping the flow? As far as I can tell, only the end at the valve was raised. The port comes out of the head in the same place as on the N42 (i.e., the port has to make a sharper turn - no way around that). How exactly is that going to help the port to flow?

well if you think about it because its got hydraulic valves on the p90a its gotta have a bit more airflow on the valve side but most datsun port design besides square or round is about 80-90% the same deal the p90 is no acception. The raised runner valve side is only to provide more air to the valves.

well if you think about it because its got hydraulic valves on the p90a its gotta have a bit more airflow on the valve side

What is the logic behind this? Maybe I just need to take a look at a P90a - does it not use valve guides or something? Not trying to be a smartass - I just don't understand the reasoning here.

My point was that I don't see anything inherently superior in the P90's port design. It appears to be the opposite to me.

well if you think about it because its got hydraulic valves on the p90a its gotta have a bit more airflow on the valve side

What is the logic behind this? Maybe I just need to take a look at a P90a - does it not use valve guides or something? Not trying to be a smartass - I just don't understand the reasoning here.

My point was that I don't see anything inherently superior in the P90's port design. It appears to be the opposite to me.

there isnt thats just the thing...

raised runner on the valve side just promotes airflow to it so the valves can operate normally at low rpm because it does not open and close uniformly at low rpm...this is why i dont like the p90a head...mechanical p90s are okay....i still vote n42 for any app...i like it because its so versatile