HybridZ

280ZX Turbo Swap 2

Guest 240zxt

If I purchased a 280zx turbo with a 5 speed that was wrecked or a parts car etc., in order to do a swap into a 240, what else would I need. Would the 280ZXT have everything that I need and will it hook right up to the 240? or will i need other parts(other than some misc. hoses and nuts n' bolts). And how much could i get these other parts for? Thanks for any and all info.

Guest 240hybrid

I'm pretty sure that the donor 280zxt should have all the parts and wiring you'll need for the swap. The only part I can think you'll need it the fuel tank from a 280z(ZX tank wont fit), has more baffles than 240 tank to prevent leaning, and fits perfect where the old stock unit went. You might need to shorten the driveshaft also if your swaping the entire driveline from the car. I think thats all, but someone else will chime in if I left anything out.

Good luck with the swap, Chase 2thumbs.gif

• 2 years later...
Guest DoTheDrew888

Are they automatic or manual trannys? The 2+2 driveshaft will not fit on a 2-seater. I think you might be able to just reuse the 280z driveshaft, but I am not positive about that.

• 2 weeks later...

GHToyko, hope you got your Z from out west or down south they seem to be in so much better shape than back east or from the rust belt.

240zxt Once you get the motor "in" deal with the driveshaft THEN. You will spend a whole bunch more than the $45-$75 it will cost you to shorten the drive shaft on little other doodads, first mod bigger turbo, 2nd Intercooler, bigger injectors. But first get it in the car and running.

This weekend should be the first weekend I have heard an exhaust note from my 71 240z in more than 10 years. Im happy as a little girl!!!!

Git er done

I have my 1978 280Z in the paintshop right now. I went with 2005 Mazda Rx-8 Titanium Gray. I got it running great, now it should look great. Next is to tear it apart and put in the 1983 280ZX turbo motor that I got. A buddy gave me a 1983 280ZX turbo with 230k on the car. Anyone have any suggestions on where to start. I would like to have the motor rebuilt. Any ideas on price or how to have it done? Thanks. Lewis.

• 4 weeks later...

So, to clarify....

1976 280z + 1982 280zx Turbo Engine/tranny (complete as in pulled from a running yet totaled Zx) = I should grab....?

I'm thinking I need the

Entire car wiring harness

Engine

Tranmission

ECU

What about the rear end? Is there a factory intercooler, or do I need to fab one? I want to do this complete swap in a matter of a weekend, but I'm begining to think, even if I had the harness pre-assemebled, it's not do-able.

Is there a step by step on-line for this? I know the engine bolts right in.... and I've read the wiring how to in the Turbo section, but what about eveything else? It really can't be that easy.

Guest 73Turbo240z
So' date=' to clarify....

1976 280z + 1982 280zx Turbo Engine/tranny (complete as in pulled from a running yet totaled Zx) = I should grab....?

I'm thinking I need the

Engine

Tranmission

ECU

What about the rear end? Is there a factory intercooler, or do I need to fab one? I want to do this complete swap in a matter of a weekend, but I'm begining to think, even if I had the harness pre-assemebled, it's not do-able.

Is there a step by step on-line for this? I know the engine bolts right in.... and I've read the wiring how to in the Turbo section, but what about eveything else? It really can't be that easy.[/quote']

last i read, your gonna have to fab up your own intercooler... you'll have to modify the firewall to allow the more advanced 280zxt harness to get inside to the ECU you'll need to run. Wiring will be the biggest time consuming factor of the car probally, as is the case w/ most motor swaps.

For the turbo plumbing, you could run it hot air if you keep the boost low if your looking to accomplish the swap in a short period, then fab up a front mount IC setup while the car is still roadworthy, that's up to your discreation.

The big thing i haven't read about being addressed yet is this, for those of use doing L28 swaps into L24 equipped cars (73' 240z in my case), what are we supposed to do about a throttle linkage system? The factory linkage mean't for the carbs won't do i don't think, so whats everyone do there?

Guest TOOMBSTONE
So' date=' to clarify....

I'm thinking I need the

Engine

Tranmission

ECU

Is there a step by step on-line for this? I know the engine bolts right in.... and I've read the wiring how to in the Turbo section, but what about eveything else? It really can't be that easy.[/quote']

Engine,

Engine Harness,

ECU.

Throttle linkage = No issue

you will add your own intercooler,

it is as easy as any swap can be. the hardest part is wiring the tach,.

Rod.