HybridZ

Viscous T-Case

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I am once again stuck on where exactl;y to go with this car. I have dropped the Blown V6 idea because I already have bunches of Stroker parts but now I am wondering whether I should persue the AWD option now instead of waiting till another project comes along. Who knows about viscous transfer cases?? I need something that I could attach to a T56 tailshaft (obviously some custom work would be necessary). II really don't even know how these work...any insights??? If this worked the traction potential would be amazing and the 450+ HP out of my 383 could be utilized to the maximum. 4 wheel squeal!!!!!

SpencZ

MonsterZ Cont.

SpencZ

MonsterZ Cont.

Guest RON JONES

Spence don,t forget that your going to be useing up some of those ponies. To spin that transfer case,another drive shaft and another set of axles,I don,t think it would be in your favor.Also you would be adding quite a bit of weight.I would stick with your original plan.

[This message has been edited by RON JONES (edited April 17, 2000).]

I would agree. You could be adding over 100# to the chassis and drivetrain, some of which is rotating mass.... However, it would be ultra trick!!!!!!!!

Mike

------------------

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

I love AWD. It rains a good bit here in the Washington D.C. area, and I absolutely love being able to nail the throttle in my AWD Eclipse GSX and only worry if the boost really comes on. But for moderate or even half spirited driving on wet roads, the AWD is great. You can accelerate pretty quickly in the wet, and leave behind the idiot loosers that poke around at the first sign of a drop.

But when it's wet and the boost hits 14psi or more (I have a bleeder valve on the thing - a whopping $7 mod for 60+ horsepower - stock 11 psi to 17psi with the bleeder), the car acts like it's on ice. With three or four tires spinning (viscous for/aft coupling and LSD in the rear), it feels like you just hit black ice. Freaks people out when you fly off the line at a lite in the rain! Also freaks them out when all 4 start spinning and you start sliding across the road sideways!

I remember a guy was going to build a high powered home built car that was AWD but couldn't find a coupling that would hold up. But now there are more AWD vehicles on the road so maybe there is a way.

Guest Anonymous

My current ride is a 3000GT/SL, and I subscribe to a mailing list for the 3000GT/Dodge Stealth where most of the members are driving the twin turbo AWD w/ 4-wheel steering VR4. General consensus on that list is that they're experiencing about a 30% driveline loss. That's a pretty high loss! However, their launches off of the line at the strip are awesome. If you're intent on heading down that road, the Getrag transmissions in those cars are the WORST, so don't even think about going there.

Guest Anonymous

Well...it was all a good idea until 30% drivetrain loss was mentioned. Also the 100# increase is optimistic at best. I think I'll be better off just building the 383 and sticking 12" wide rims and 335mm tread tires in the rear and calling it good. It would be sooo cool though!

SpencZ

MonsterZ Cont.

Guest John Adkins

in the 4X4 truck world, there is a pretty

common divorced full time transfer case, the

NP203. It's pretty strong, but its also heavy.

[This message has been edited by John Adkins (edited April 19, 2000).]

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Aren't Subaru SVX's AWD? I have been told by someone (dunno if it's TRUE) that he runs nitrous in his SVX and gets about 400hp.. If it really is AWD, and it holds up, maybe that's a possible option?

Guest John Adkins

I used to own a Subaru RX Turbo. I'm not sure if the SVX is the same, but it was basically a front wheel drive car with a transaxle that had a output shaft out the back of the transaxle for the rear drive shaft. If the SVX is a similar configuration,

wouldn't it set the engine too far forward in a Z?

GMC has made a AWD 4.3GN powered S-10 truck and S-10 Blazer for several years now. I think the current one is called a Typhoon. It uses the AWD that I believe is common to the Astrovan. Not sure if it's beefed up beyond that common app., but seems like those kinds of parts would be available in salvage yards.

Also, these are all automatics, so, it's hard to say whether the mechanicals would adapt to the T56.

Certainly seems like it would involve huge amounts of time and money to pull off though.