HybridZ

Newbie with dumb questions

zeight

Ok, so I am an old school hot rod guy and I've got a chance to buy a '83 280zx.  The current owner has spent a lot of money on the car over the past three years including a re-built '82 turbo engine.  About 12,000 miles on the re-rebuild and when he started it recently it it made a loud noise and then began knocking.  He shut it down and hasn't tried to turn it over since.  Sounds like he just wants to bail on the car.  

I have no idea  what's up with the turbo 6 (connecting rod? crank? turbo fail?) and not sure I want to dig into it (like I said, I am old school).  Thinking about a V8 swap.  Been looking on the inter web and it seems like the LSx is the favored swap.  But, I am not much of a Chevy guy and not sure I want to go EFI with the computer and all.  Thinking 302 with carb, nothing crazy, just nice street car.  

So, I can't haven't found much on the 280zx Ford swap.  Are there motor/trans mounts available anywhere?  Any good build threads here? 

Or, would I be better off to just hold my nose and do a 350 SBC?  

Just looking for some input.  Be gentle,  I am Z virgin.....

Note: my current daily driver is a '53 Ford F-100 Panel truck with a 360 Mopar.