HybridZ

83 280zx N/A - No Start ??

MLCurnutte

I've been Trying to get my 83 started after 5+ years of sitting.

New Fuel Pump

New EFI Relay & Fuel Pump Relay

New Spark Plugs

New Distributor Cap (& Rotor)

Drained tank & Put new high Octane fuel with Seafoam added.

New Fuel Filter

She Cranks just fine, and I can hear the fuel pump start up when i turn the key on.  She just wont start!

I've checked and I'm getting spark at the plugs.  I also took my fuel rail off and replaced some of the hoses & took out my fuel injectors replacing all the seals & fittings on them as well as cleaning the fuel injectors before re-installing.

What else can I check / replace or fix/ try?

**Also, another weird thing i've come across...Before i wasn't getting power to the fuel pump.  So I replaced the EFI & Fuel Pump Relay, some of the fusible links that were corroded.  Those simple fixes got me power to my fuel pump.  BUT ALSO...without even turning the key (just putting it in the igntion), if i turn on my headlights....the fuel pump will turn on and not turn off.  additionally if i just turn the key (acc), to where the fuel pump should begin primeing for a few seconds, the fuel pump just stays on.  Is it normal for it to just run contiuously without trying to start?  and anyone know why the headlights turning on would trigger the Fuel Pump to turn on???

THANKS-

MC.

Why did it sit for 5 years?  Seems like every Z or ZX you see for sale "ran when parked".  But no one ever says why they parked it in the first place.

Since you've had a bunch of parts off, the best place to start is to make sure that everything has been replaced correctly.  Check firing order and rotation direction (common to get wrong), check fuel pressure (hoses connected backward), check that the blue wire from the coil negative to the ECU is still attached (does the tachometer work when cranking?), etc.

And, if you have spark, the common way to check many of the above at one time is to use starting fluid.  If the engine starts, sounds right, but dies, then you can focus on getting the injectors to deliver fuel.

Are you sure that you're hearing the fuel pump?  Could be the power antenna.

Why did it sit for 5 years?  Seems like every Z or ZX you see for sale "ran when parked".  But no one ever says why they parked it in the first place.

Since you've had a bunch of parts off, the best place to start is to make sure that everything has been replaced correctly.  Check firing order and rotation direction (common to get wrong), check fuel pressure (hoses connected backward), check that the blue wire from the coil negative to the ECU is still attached (does the tachometer work when cranking?), etc.

And, if you have spark, the common way to check many of the above at one time is to use starting fluid.  If the engine starts, sounds right, but dies, then you can focus on getting the injectors to deliver fuel.

Are you sure that you're hearing the fuel pump?  Could be the power antenna.

It was a project i did as a senoir in HS.  (2005).  I did basic routine maintenance & repairs.  nothing in depth like it needed.  ran for several years, but things kept breaking / going out left and right.  so I decided to park it until I had the time and money to do everything i wanted to it.  ended up being about 5 years...lol.

Firing order is correct (one of the first things I checked)

I bought a fuel pressure guage today, so I can check that.

I'll check that the tac works when cranking (thanks).

as far as the Coil - I actually put a new Blaster 2 coil on it.  Everything i've read online said they with the 83 280zx N/a it should work fine.  I there were no specific installation instructions so i just installed it exactly how the stock one was.  I'll check that blue wire though.

yes, I'm positive about the fuel pump.  I have the whole car gutted inside so it's pretty loud and noticeable when it turns on, and especially since i know what it sounded like before i replaced the relays and such..(no sound).  Also had a buddy sit under the car to make sure. 

-thanks.

I've seen corrosion in the ecm before. If that's not your problem t-in a fuel pressure gauge after the filter. Need around 30psi. Check your injectors with a noid light or led to see if they're firing. Sounds like a shorted wire causing your headlight phenomenon.

I've actually taken the ECM off and check for any corrosion, and there was none.  I will check the PSI today.

What is a noid light?  and or where would i buy one?

Thanks,