HybridZ

My Cage

fyanrudger

If you guys want to see a good and typical pure road race door bar setup go to Member Projects and find the thread on the first page called something like 280z Track Car by Performance Motorsport Fabrications. That style gives the driver lots of room and is easier to enter/exit. Best i can translate, the road race bars are designed to keep other cars OUT, and the NHRA bars are designed to keep the driver IN. I personally prefer the roadrace style bars. But, you gotta gut the door to have room for them. So, at least for dragging (where they like your window up), you'd have to configure a lexan quick removable door glass of some kind. If i didnt care about gutting my door, i would probably do the SCCA/NASA style bars with a removable diagonal to be sure everybody was happy. Compromises have ruled the construction of my car, same as yours. SunnyZ, I guess your bars passed tech at Drag Week(?).

Edited by RebekahsZ

I wasn't there for every decision. Just wanted a simple door bar to pass spec and be out of the way. I do remember the placement of the bar being okay in my head, but I may not have accounted for how much the seat position would change in the moment. Either way, I think it's manageable...I can always gut the doors later, and permanently take it off the street, haha. 

Dash bar will probably go in at a point. Probably do it myself. 

Thought about making a separate topic, but figured I'd try here first. Spacing isn't that bad on the wheel, but my elbows are definitely an issue. Bought a weld-on quick release and the shortest adapter for my nardi wheel. Even cutting a half inch out of the quick release mount, I still need another inch to not bash my elbow. My friend suggested an aftermarket steering column with the bonus of it being collapsible. Obviously anything is possible with enough fab, but is there a column being recommended for our cars? Searching didn't show anything...

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway-Collapsible-Steering-Column-22-1-2-32-Inch,14416.html

Just my .02C, be careful on working with those door bars and your left elbow, the more you stretch out your arms the less control you have in your steering wheel. That position is ok if you saw at the wheel but for finer control seating closer to the wheel in road racing provides more control.

Looks like those door bars were inspired by a shop that is more familiar with drag racing than road racing!

All welds and bends look of top quality, would like to see more pictures of the seat mounting points if possible