HybridZ

Got my head rebuilt and shaved. I fear I might be screwed. Help?

ethankz750

I found a local engine shop with a good reputation through word of mouth. I took my N47 head to them to get rebuilt after I blew the head gasket. I picked it up today, they only charged me $220 for the rebuild and shaving. But, what bothers me is the number he shaved off. Now, I am not familiar with all this, its still new to me but, he said he shaved "17" off to get the deck straight, I am guessing that means .170? Apparently the head was warped. From what I can tell from Googling, 17 is high.  

Did I screw up? Do I need a new head? OR, can I run this head like normal or with a thicker gasket?  

Thanks in advanced.

Thousandths.  .017".  Is that combined, top and bottom, or just the bottom?  Seems like a lot.  More than Nissan recommends.  Honsowetz recommends bending the head back to as straight as possible first, then milling.  

The two book, one by Honsowetz and the other by Monroe, go over this problem.  There's probably a way to make it work right but may take some effort.  Should have told him to tell you what he was going to do before he did it.

You have a situation.  You're out of the Nissan spec. range.  The information about how to fix your problem is out there, but even the Monroe book isn't very clear.  He mentions Head Saver shims for the cam towers for heads shaved over .020", but glosses over everything between Nissan spec. and .020".  His book implies that .017" doesn't need anything.  

Honsowetz's book says less than .030" doesn't need shims.  But does say a head bent over .015" should be straightened first.  Doesn't say anything about a bent head being milled.

Good luck.  The next advice you hear will probably be about shaving the top to bring the top and bottom parallel.

If you only cut the bottom face of the head, take it back, pull the cam towers and the cam tower dowels and the rocker arm adjusters, and have them skim the top flat.

Then, measure the total amount removed, order some Silver Seal head saver shims and re-assemble. No big deal.

Every 0.040" retards the cam about a degree, if my off-the-top-of-my-head math is correct.

Edited by Xnke