HybridZ

exhaust being done

Guest kc6wfs

Well it's finaly in getting the exhaust done.

Here is the route I'm going.

The passengerside (2 1/2") is going to come below the oilpan and turn rearward with the drivers(2 1/2") side. They will Y together with a Y connector along side the trans(3").

From there it will go along the stock route to a 2 stage flowmaster in the stock area.

Might have it done by the time I leave for work. If not tomarrow AM.

How does everyone think this setup will be?

Thanks

Dave Booth

------------------

www.geocities.com/kc6wfs/240z.html

Guest Anonymous

Dave, I had the same basic exhaust on my 73 and don't think it was to loud. Do remember though that loud is an opinion. It really wasn't that loud. I even got alot of compliments on it. At idle and cruise it was barely noticable but when you get on it it just sounds mean.

Glenn

Hi David,

Not sure what Y adaptors they use.

This guy does lots of sportsman stock car type stuff. They have been there for years.

He mostly stocks flowmaster,borla,spintech stuff.

Glenn,

Ya It's going to be loud at WOT but hope it will be somewhat mellow at idle or light acceleration. A sheriff passed me this morning on the way to the muffler shop and did not stop me.. whew...... I backed way off when I saw him in the rear view.. reduced the db's

With the exhaust guy,

He sure liked the motor and install job.

Think he's looking foward to the testdrive when he's done.

I'll be picking it up around noon tomarrow.

I'll get some pics up Monday or Tuesday..

Might do a RA audio file also...

Dave Booth

------------------

Dave,

I ran your same route, same size and same two chamber Delta (I assume your's is a Flowmaster Delta) and it was loud but OK except between 1500 and 2100 RPM (just where you spend considerable time) and there cabin resonence was "unbearable". A Borla oval 20" stainless race muffler took care of that problem and sounds great. It fits well just after the trans but before the big bend. Let me hear how it turns out.

Ed

Well picked it up this morning and wahoo.

It sounds sweet!!

It's got a nice rumble to it at idle.

Not to loud at 1500-2500 rpms.

WOT loud!!!

Decided to drive it in to work today, scary not having driven it on the freeway since the conversion. But nothing broke,came loose, vibrated, overheated!!!!!!!

I'm all smiles!!

Now all I have to do is get home, driving it after midnight will be a lot of fun with the cops...

Oh well I don't drive crazy anyhow.

Next week I'll put some pics of the exhaust and RA's of the sound of the exhaust.

Dave Booth

------------------

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Dean570z

Dave:

Congrats. Who did your exhaust? Sounds almost identical to mine, except when mine was done had to have a cat to pass the smog guys.

Dean Byers, 570z

Quartz Hill, Calif.

350/700R4 since '93

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Hey, has anyone run a one of those single mufflers that has two 2 1/2" inlets but a single 3" outlet? I was thinking about doing that since the system I have on my Z (2" duals with minis) is getting rusty and I think it might be holding back some power. This should work on a '75-up with the extra space in the tunnel. Hooker makes one called a "Aero Chamber", but it looks loud just looking at the picture.

Guest Anonymous

Well, if you think about it, it should be of less restriction to have the right and left exhausts combine at low velocity in the large volume of a muffler than in a Y pipe. A single 3" exhaust outlet is still of a greater cross section than two 2 1/4" pipes.

Also, Dynomax has a 3" inlet, two 2 1/2" outlet muffler that may be able to run backwards, since they say their other turbos can be run backwards.

One 2.25" pipe has a 3.97 sq. in. cross section (neglecting wall thickness)

Two 2.25" pipes have 7.94 sq. in. cross section (neglecting wall thickness)

Two 2.5" pipes have 9.81 sq. in. cross section (neglecting wall thickness)

One 3" pipe has a 7.07 sq. in. cross section (neglecting wall thickness)

One 3.5" pipe has a 9.62 sq. in. cross section (neglecting wall thickness)

Granted, there will be less actual area for two smaller pipes due to wall thickness (pipes are measured as O.D.) and there is more frictional loss in two pipes versus one of like total area.

------------------

Pete Paraska - 73 540Z - Marathon Z Project

pparaska@home.com

Pete's V8 Datsun 240Z Pages

Revac - one problem with that. We're talking hot gasses here. When they hit that nice big chamber of a muffler it expands. But wait it must now compress down to go through the pipe again... I think there's a problem there - better to do this where the gas is cooler I think. RX7 folks have talked about this because when you delete the main cat it gets real loud. The solution has been a baffled midpipe but supposedly while quieter it costs HP. Dunno' if it's very much of a loss on a V8...

Guest Anonymous

Geez, I just knew someone out there had one of them fancy calculators. My slide rule must be gettin' old and inaccurate. Sorry 'bout that.

I'd still like to see a dyno test of a dual inlet single out muffler but I'd doubt I'll ever see one. I'll probably try it anyway, but it'll be a while. It's gotta be better than my dual 2" mini-turbo system where the right pipe makes a horseshoe bend over and around the front diff member (done with compression bends, too).