HybridZ

Early 1971 240z Master Brake Cylinder Question

Hi everyone, I have an early 1971 240Z with the F -  R brake master cylinder.  Its dying and either needs to be replaced,upgraded, or rebuilt.

I would like to get it upgraded to the 15/16 MBC.  I understand that I need to re-route my brake lines to fit the reversed newer MBC, my question is how hard is it to re-route the brake lines? Does it require bending or need a new brake line for length?

Thanks!

Why do you need a 15/16 MBC?  If you have stock brakes the 15/16 MBC will increase the brake pedal force required to stop the car. That is, your car will not stop well.

Recommend that you research the 15/16 MBC swap and the brake line issue before doing anything. There has been a lot written about this subject in the brake section.

Why do you need a 15/16 MBC?  If you have stock brakes the 15/16 MBC will increase the brake pedal force required to stop the car. That is, your car will not stop well.

Recommend that you research the 15/16 MBC swap and the brake line issue before doing anything. There has been a lot written about this subject in the brake section.

sorry, forgot to mention Id like to upgrade my rear drums to calipers and bigger front calipers as well. Also the NOS part for a early 240z MBC is $300, compared to $120 for a 15/16.  

• 4 weeks later...

It is pretty easy to reroute the brake lines for the larger MC.  Just gently bend the hardline from the 4 way valve to the MC. 

I did the swap on my 240 in anticipation of upgraded calipers 20 some years ago.  Ran that way with stock brakes for years and didn't notice any negative effects.  Yes, in theory the larger bore requires more pressure, but it is not excessive.  It also requires less pedal travel.  If anything I got more consistent brake feel with the larger MC.  I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

Stainless steel brake lines are a worth while upgrade, as is going to a larger diameter brake booster.