HybridZ

13B-REW Z

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

hey everybody, I'm currently in the process of researching to build a Z for my soon-to-be-16 brother, and right now I've narrowed it down to a couple of engine choices, and I'd appreciate your help...

right now i'm split between the 13B-REW from the FD3S RX-7 and the RB26DETT from the skyline.

first of all, how common is the rotary swap into the skyline? I live around some fairly reputable rotary shops in manassas, VA (peter farrel and rotary performance), and would they have experience with this? or are there any kits/people on this board who have information on dropping in the 13B so I could do it in my garage? any information at all or websites on rotary Z's I'd really appreciate...

also, how easy is it to do a RWD RB26DETT conversion, and what costs can I expect? and what problems will I encounter putting in a RB25DET? my budget for the whole car is $15000, and I'd like to keep the engine conversion under 10 AT MOST, and if possible much lower...

thanks a lot,

Brian

Dude, you're right down th estreet from me icon_smile.gif Beware Peter the Pirate. What would you say about a performance shop that refuses to take credit cards? I'd heard stories about Peter but chose to ignore them and get some work done. Techs were VERY friendly and seemed knowledgable - but no credit cards? Something smells of fish... The other shop, Rotary Performance, I've not dealt with but I hear GOOD things baout them! There's also a VERY reputable shop up in PA only a few hours away - KD Rotary that you should consider.

Having said that... why are you not looking at V8s? Just curious, it's not a hard swap, is well documented, and you'd have local support icon_biggrin.gif

I honestly don't know much about the Skyline motor - how available are parts? Rotaries tend to be more fragile IMO and I'm honestly worried I'll break mine one day. If you want to build a turbo Skyline motor I'd say that would kick serious butt! The roataries are pretty neat too but they make less low end torque and are more fragile so take that into consideration. Getting service on a rotary can be expensive as you're limited to a few skilled folks - the Mazda dealeras are renown for NOT knowing how to service the FD3s like mine...

Where are you located? My 240Z is about to hit the road in the next few weeks and I can certainly show it off to you if you'd like. I think you'd find this motor as easy to swap in as any other and it should be a real monster. For that matter - have you considered the Turbo L6? I may know a source for parts and I've got two NA 2.8's sitting in the garage as I type this... icon_rolleyes.gif

Guest Anonymous

yeah, the skyline engine right now is the most appealing, especially now that i've found two fairly cheap sources (am R33 for 6000 including an RB25 RWD transmission, and an R34 for 5500 including the 6spd...)

the v8 swap is tried and true, and the L28 is as well, but part of the reason we're going for the skyline swap is the rarity...i mean damn, especially being into the import scene, theres something about saying your car is powered by a skyline engine...hehe

i would, however, love to see what and how you've done your car and talk to you about that...i live in herndon, right off of the new part of the fairfax county parkway north of baron cameron. i'm out of town right now, but i'll be in town on the 24th and 25th before i head back out...email me if those dates are okay for you, and we'll work something out...cubano6667@aol.com

If you have the sourcing to get the parts need i highly recommend the rb-26. im very happy with mine but i built it while in japan and the entire swap cost less then 8000 (entire drivetrain,intercooler,EMS, ect ect )

on the bone stock motor i should be able to get into the 10's with a little more tuning. when i upgrade injectors and turn up booste it will be a consistant tne car ;>. All

If your gonna be in the states id recomend building a twin turbo v-8... with your budget should be a problem and would be somewhat original.

dont for get the chassis mods quite a bit of money involved with build the chassis strong enough to handle even a stock rb-26

Guest Anonymous

what kind of chassis mods would i be looking at? right now i think the setup would be the RB26 mated to the RB25 gearbox and either stock the rest of the drivetrain, or if need be, upgrading to 280zx turbo parts to handle the power...the engine would be stock to start off with, and i dont forsee this engine breaking 350 hp ever...

less then 350hp??? youll need to put a restrictive exhaust keep the stock intake system and computer. mine is open face turbo upgrade fmic. stock booste sds EMS and im at or above 350hp .... ill be above 400 easy with just injector upgrade.

rollcage, subframe connectors, upgraded fuel system, r-200 diff, front and rear strut bars. and the list goes on. of course if you dont mind tweaking the body none of this is necessary ;>

my 2 cents

l8rz

stony

oph yea if you wnet rotary id go 20b. there would be way too much engine room space with a 2 rotor. i think youd be able to get it mounted totally behind the pillars ;> guess that would be good for handeling.

As mentioned above they are very fragile above stock tuning. adn when they let go are kind expensive to rebuild especially if you paysomeone to do it.

stony

ive heard too many nightmare stories about burning oil, running hot, and busting leaks,at the track meets where i saw rotary cars run, a couple had to stop due to heat,a couple started shooting black smoke, and one guys car just pooped on him, and these were all just about bone stock rx7s.....

"no rotor, no motor"

Guest Anonymous

yeah, i'm going to be modding the chassis anyway, so that's not a problem...i think the rb-26 swap is the way to go...how much would it run me/what custom work will i need to match the RB-25 tranny to the tranny (i figure that it's cheaper in the long run to use the stock RWD drivetrain w/mods than to put in an AWD drivetrain from the skyline...)

brian

Guest Anonymous

hah my bad, i meant match the rb25 tranny to the rest of the drivetrain...didn't you just swap in the awd drivetrain though stony?

brian

Guest Anonymous

I checked out your webpage...what transmission did you use, and did you have to mess with the driveshaft at all? is that a GT-R (RB26) or GTS-t (RB25) driveshaft?

brian