HybridZ

Measurement Request

Can someone measure from the bottom of there lowest part of the runner in there intake manifold to where the bottom  of where the hood latches on there 240Z. I want to order an intake but I'm nit sure if it will clear the hood latch. LS1 and LS6 intake prices are out of control. LS1 intakes are topping 300+, LS6's are 400+. Too much for a stock intake.

Thanks

Ryan

People have realized the potential of the LS now. It shows in the prices. watch craigslist. I picked my intake up (LS1) for 100 shipped. Not in the car yet though, so no answer for ya. I do have a truck intake in the garage though lol.

The LS1 intake is  not the best choice and would reduce HP on my 06 aluminum L33. Unfortunately, I cant even find an LS1 for under $250 and it still needs fuel rails.  The LS6 Dorman  (again no rails)  is my best option but I want to see someone run it with boost before I buy it. I will be running the CX racing mounts which should be here any day. I'm researching while waiting for parts to arrive, If I can get an estimate then I can order an intake. I might trying one of those cheap Australian sheet metal intakes. Yes I understand what i'm buying, and the repercussions. The intake is physically shorter than my truck intake but considerably higher than a LS1 intake.

Just throwing around idea's and putting them to paper.

If someone could take 5 minutes and measure it would be appreciated

Can you point out the location on the motor that you want me to put the tip of the tape measure? Text me your phone number and I will send some pics to you. I'm at 256-366-4685. Put your name in the text.

I'm from Canada so it may cost you.  Just from the bottom of the intake runner (lowest point on intake) to the bottom of the hood latch.

JCI mounts. Is this the view that you need? I recommend cutting off the hood latch bracket and go to hood pins. The bracket is a pain, the cables break and many racing rule books require pins.

Perfect thanks! I think your right about the hood pins. Seems only the LS1/2/6 intskes will fit under there. I wanted to run the Holley Hi-rise intake but it sits about 2" above the hood. Maybe I will make a shaker hoof like the old 6.6 TA's

Edited by Ryan Merrill

Perfect thanks! I think your right about the hood pins. Seems only the LS1/2/6 intskes will fit under there. I wanted to run the Holley Hi-rise intake but it sits about 2" above the hood. Maybe I will make a shaker hoof like the old 6.6 TA's

I know a guy with the JCI mounts that uses the edelbrock pro-flo style intake. Its pretty competitive with the holley. I was planning on going with it but now I have a cowl hood so I can pretty much do whichever I want.

Side note, is this for an NA car? The holley isn't the greatest setup for a NA car, and making power with boost on a ls1/6 is no big deal. I made 950rwhp on a ls6 at 16lbs of boost with a S484 turboed 402. The intake wasn't my limiter either at the time, it was injector size.

I know a guy with the JCI mounts that uses the edelbrock pro-flo style intake. Its pretty competitive with the holley. I was planning on going with it but now I have a cowl hood so I can pretty much do whichever I want.

Side note, is this for an NA car? The holley isn't the greatest setup for a NA car, and making power with boost on a ls1/6 is no big deal. I made 950rwhp on a ls6 at 16lbs of boost with a S484 turboed 402. The intake wasn't my limiter either at the time, it was injector size.

It will be NA to start. Plan is to get it up and running in pretty much stock form. The exception may be a camshaft/spring setup. Honestly I would prefer to find a LS 6 intake but there selling for $650, I would rather use the $500 towards the Holley intake.

It will be NA to start. Plan is to get it up and running in pretty much stock form. The exception may be a camshaft/spring setup. Honestly I would prefer to find a LS 6 intake but there selling for $650, I would rather use the $500 towards the Holley intake.

I'll be selling my ls6 for $350 plus shipping pretty soon. Also have a ported TB for $100 as well hahaha. Bonus, they've been on the fastest LSx powered Datsun out there :D

Edited by mistafosta

I'm running the Holley Mid Rise intake on my 280z.  It required trimming of the stock hood latch, and while I could certainly use it, I think I'm just going to ditch the latch completely and go with some of those slick flush-mounted hood pins.

And FYI, the Mid Rise does not clear the stock hood on a 280z (I'm using the Dingo mounts).  I tried searching for that before I bought it, but never found an answer.  So there it is.  LOL

Attached are some pics of how much it protrudes from the hood and what I did to remedy it.

post-47777-0-81303600-1424979563_thumb.jpg

post-47777-0-07184400-1424979568_thumb.jpg

post-47777-0-84545200-1424979572_thumb.jpg

post-47777-0-21231200-1424979607_thumb.jpg

post-47777-0-56791600-1424979609_thumb.jpg

Not sure about those jci mounts. I know my engine is ~1" from sitting on the steering rack crossmember.

The pro flow intakes are quite a bit shorter than the holley intakes, do chances are that one would fit with the dingo mounts as well

They are similar heights. Just the proflo is lower in the front where the holley is lower in the rear. Obviously with our hoods the proflo would have a space advantage

Er, I'm not sure where you've been looking.. I have 2 GTO's and rather big in the community... to us LS1 intakes are trash compared to the LS6 and they've been going for 50-60 bucks on ebay or local sales.. LS6 could be 250-350 for take-offs and people not needing them for upgrades. That being said, I have an LS1 in my garage that I MAY use on my z car, if not we can make a deal 

or, shoot me an email, and I'll put a post out for an LS6 and see what I can get. I know i can have you responses in a day. My buddy sold his complete LS6 take off from his goat for 450 shipped, TB, rails, injectors and bolts... there is hope. and the LS6 is a night and day difference to the LS1...

cam.kelley04@gmail.com