HybridZ

Not to beat a dead horse (belly pans)

ZR8ED

I had a belly pan installed in the front of my car. I had my mechanic copy a design he did on a z race car that tops 185mph on the back straights at Mosport. (not a Z engine in that z either.)

Anyways all this talk about lift and wind tunnel testing to reduce risk of death has been tested and beaten to death by Z racers racing in imsa and GT1 and GT2 classes for years now.

I don't know how many full race Z cars are actively racing in your area, but I have several that I'm friendly with, and I copy their tricks on my street car..I also buy some of their used equipment...including my 1 of a kind rear body kit I'm installing this winter.

BTW my front belly pan follows the curve of my air dam, and has cut aways for my front tires, and goes all the way back to my cross member (at the same level) my air dam goes lower than my crossmember.

I used 18 guage aluminum sheet 58X32" and had it cut to the shape of my airdam after building a cardboard cut out.

I do not have one on the tunnel or rear of the car. It was not nessesary on my street car. The rear pan is supposed to go up at an angle, and requires the use of a fuel cell... pretty serious speeds require this mod.

I did this mod for 4 reasons.

1 better handling

2 better cooling by smoothing air to rad

3 better mpg by less under car turbulence

4 looks mean

Scott.

Guest Frank Rich

Well, obviously the old nag has some life left in her yet! icon_wink.gif

All kidding aside, Scott, I'd really like to see some pics of what you've done. I'm working on a composite belly pan, but I've had to shelve the project for a couple of weeks, as a lot of my clients are in tourism or related fields, and recent events have thrown that entire industry into a fine state of turmoil.

BTW, do you hear any "oilcanning" noises from the pan when you drive at speed? just curious if there's any flexing going on that you can detect...

"lead me not into Temptation, I'm getting there just fine on my own!"

Frank icon_biggrin.gif