HybridZ

H-4 Headlight Conversion

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I just found a cheaper way to convert the headlights to 55 or 100 watt Xenon bulbs. Motorsport sells the kit for $79. AutoZone in can get the kit by AutoPal(APC) for $42, part #403653HL. The kit includes both sides and 55/60 watt bulbs. The conversion is strait forward, just remove the old ones and replace them with the new. One thing I did to tighten up a little slop in the fit was to use some cheep weather-stripping in the housing behind the reflector.

I used the 100 watt white bulbs which aren't quite legal malebitchslap.gif ; however, seeing the deer on the back roads to my house is more important icon_biggrin.gif . I Strongly recommend changing the headlight wiring system to a dual relay system. It is not hard, but is needed to get full voltage to the lights and not overload the switch. There is another post with instructions somewhere in Hybrid.

Will that insulation you used be able to take the incredible heat from th ebulbs? Sounds liek a sweet way to go! I've got a "backup" set of housings and bulbs off of E-Bay awhile back with "city lights" but never put them on. The price you got is a good one!

Guest Anonymous

I think that the rubber weather-stripping will work fine. I only used it on the back of the widest portion of the reflector assy on the three tabs around the light. That should be the coolest part of the light. Those tabs are there to keep the unit orientated and keep it from twisting. The tabs are much shorter then the OEM and without the padding the lights are not secured.

the h4s are going cheap on zcar, forty bucks a pair, but if you can get them from autozone kragen and what not, you dont have to pay shipping, which may equal out. man i hate my headlight housings so much i just put in new housings and run 110w kc driving lights in the grill, bright narrow beams from these puppies

so bright i have to clean bugs off of them weekly.

I'm going to do the same this later this week. I did my orginal H-4 set-up a couple of years ago and it is a hugh improvment over stock. What I'm doing now is adding the 130/90 watt bulbs. I bought the Painless Wiring H4 wiring kit to replace my stock wiring. My stock setup has gone crazy and isn't working very well at all. Now I think I'm going to be ready to blind every other driver on the road!!(lol) Hope I can aim them right so I don't get pulled over. twak.gif