HybridZ

Zaguar?

Z-TARD

Guest Anonymous

Cool, it'll be a neat unique swap, keep us informed!

Regards,

Lone

Ps: Don't mention the voices to your doctor, you'll spend 72 hours in observation.. Can you say 5150... icon_biggrin.gif

Looking through my Haynes manual on jags today, noticed that the oil capacity listed for the V-12 is betwwen 9 and 11 liters depending on the year. Just shooting from the hip, isnt that about 18 or 20 quarts? This seems a bit excessive to my way of thinking. This is probably one of the major contributors to the engines weight problem. I may be able to fabricate some sheetmetal blocks to put in the engine to displace oil, maybe by as much as 10 quarts or so. Does anyone have any figures for the weight of one of these things? I'll look into the toyota pistons, if they are 91 mm they should be perfect. I'll be able to bore out the liners and should still have enough wall thickness to keep them from self destructing. The OD for the liners as listed in the Haynes manual is 98 mm, I think that will leave enough meat after boring them out. Hopefully there wont be much wear on the cylinders at all, I may be able to re-use the original pistons and just put new rings on them, but I'm planning for worst case scenario anyway just to be safe. If the liners are totally trashed for some reason, I've found a few websites that fabricate custom cylinder liners. If it comes to that, I'm going to have liners made that will take standard 4" chevy pistons and just have the block bored out to accept the larger liners. I'm not sure what the final displacement would come out to, near 7 liters I think. I've also seen a website where a guy used chevy connecting rods on a jag V-12 that he had shoehorned into a Chevy Corvair. I suppose with enough machining quite a few domestic parts can be made to fit on this engine. Good thing I know a few good machinists. icon_biggrin.gif

I think my brain cell stayed on duty long enough to figure out it's about 34ozs to a liter. A 1 qt of oil is .946 liter. So 10 liter of oil is about 10 qt plus 20oz. Now if all you guys can find me 6 matching webers, I would do the Jag thing. It's just sitting here. I'll fab an intake. Was going to add new frame rails to my GTO. maybe add about six inches to the wheelbase. Priced new ones and they are a bit pricy since you need 6. There has to be some used ones around. What size did the VW guys run? Help me find some.

Found the website for the guy with the V-12 corvair, its www.corvaircorsa.com. Pretty interesting stuff. Went to the junkyard today, engine was gone. I spent the rest of the day looking for another V-12, finally found one about an hour before the junkyard closed. I'm planning on pulling it next weekend. The engine without the fuel injection will be $189.00, a manual transmission will be another $89.00. Does anyone know what year Toyota Supra came with 6 speeds? I found a ton of supras at the junkyard, but I cant find any cars with BW T-56's so I'm thinking of going with the Toyota tranny instead. Also found some cool seats out of a fiero that I'm probably going to grab. They look like Recaros sort of.

Still brainstorming on carb setups.

z-tard,

it the current shape supras that have the 6 speed. I dont know if the bell housing it the same as the five speed one. The five speed was what there are kit out there for. If they are the same let me know. I would like a six speed for the z. icon_biggrin.gif

I think the junkyards out here are where import sports cars go to when its time to die. I cant even count the number of ZX's RX-7's and early 90's Supras I've found out here. The V-12 was not easy to find though, more of an accident than anything else. If you want to drive down and check this place out, here are the directions once you get into San Diego: Get on the 805 south and get off on Main St. Take a left on Main and go about 2 miles until you see a road named Nirvana Blvd. Take a left on Nirvana and follow it until it branches off in either direction. If you go left there are a few yards that specialize in Hondas and Acuras, if you go right there are 4 yards that have everything from Chevy trucks to Porches in them. (Oddly enough though I could not find a decent 350 Small Block, all they had was 305's, another excuse to use the V-12) I'm probably going to spend all weekend there. Thinking of bringing a tent actually..... coollook.gif

After checking measurements on my parts car before it's torched, I found the Jag might not be that hard to do. Starter will touch the TC bracket if the engine is centered, Jag motor mounts will fall right above the stock Z's. Rad will have to move forward. Now how can I gain clearness on the TC bracket? Can the rod be straighten out alittle? I see that it is 1/4" different from one side to the other now. Now does anyone know where the crank centerline fall in line with the top of the frame rails? Bottom of pan to jag crank CL is only 5 inches. The more I look the better it will fit (not with FI). Where are the carbs??????? Need 40 IDF webers. I making my own frame rails so right now I can move things around alittle How bout Blueovals 1and1/2 inch movement of the crossframe. Is that worth it? Open for any input.

Picked up the engine this weekend, dont ever want to do that again. Jaguar definetly did not design these things to come out easily, I had a lot of problems getting the exhaust on the drivers side off. In hindsight, a torch or sawzall would be the best way to remove it. The engine is also deceptively heavy, are these things cast from aluminum or deplete uranium? I opted to leave the stock FI setup at the junkyard, it seems pretty useless for this application, to wide. The plan for now is to fabricate to intake manifolds, one for the front six cylinders and one for the rear six, and run two standard 2 barrel carbs on them. Two carbs flowing about 350-400 CFM each should be plenty for this engine. Volkswagon pistons are available in 90.5 mm, which is only .5 mm larger than the stock Jag pistons. Boring out the cylinders .020 over should make them fit the cylinders fairly well, all I have to worry about then is valve clearance and compression. Dale, have you thought about converting yours to take a smaller gear reduction starter? This might give it enough room to clear the TC bracket. Are you going to use the stock exhaust manifolds or are you going with headers? As soon as I can get my car trailered out here to CA I'll look at designing/fabricating some equal length headers for it, should be fairly challenging, I'll have to unleash my inner McGuyver on it.

• 2 weeks later...